Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dnanix View Post
    Since most people on this thread are going through the painful process of asylum, I'd like to share my experience travelling as an asylee as it might be helpful.

I filed for asylum in 2013 and it took about 3 years and a half to get the interview and a month for processing and approval (granted in Dec 2016). I filed for a travel document (I-131) in January 2017 and received the document (I-571) in June 2017.

As an asylee your travel document is the same as a refugee travel document and it's valid for one year only. The fee for the document is around $500.
    I traveled for work purposes to South Korea and Mexico and I needed a visa for both countries.
    The Korean visa process was easy and I had no issues going in and out of Korea. They would just pause for a second or ask someone and then send me on my way in less than 5 mins.
    The Mexican visa was easy, however, I've been to Mexico twice on the same visa and I was held at a room for 3 hours in each of Guadalajara and Cancun airports. I was interviewed and they had to write a 3 pages report each times, after signing the document I was cleared to go in.
    Coming back to the U.S. was very smooth. I had to go to a secondary room twice until the officers confirmed some info, never asked anything, and I was cleared in 10-15 minutes. The third time I was cleared right away. I was told once by an officer that I should carry my original passport even if it's expired, but never gave me any trouble getting back in on the travel document alone.

After the first travel document expired, I applied for another in January 2019 as there is no renewal process, however, if you have a pending I-485 the fees for the travel document and biometrics are waved. I received the document early April 2019.

I'm trying to travel to Europe this summer, however, Spain does not recognize the U.S. travel document and would not accept it for a visa application. France and Italy both recognize the document and will process the Schengen visa. Germany and the Netherlands do not require a visa for a U.S. travel document holder. It's difficult to find information online about which countries do recognize the U.S. travel document, so I'd check with the country's consulate before going.

After receiving becoming a permanent resident you can get the travel document valid for 2 years and can go to Mexico and Canada visa free.

I hope this helps
    How did you travel with the travel document when your GC application was pending?

Comment

• Originally posted by Culcapc View Post

How did you travel with the travel document when your GC application was pending?
      As an asylee, you're allowed to travel as long as you don't travel back your country of origin and you inform the USCIS with your travel plans. The travel document serves as a re-entry permit. It is also advisable to carry your EAD card that shows "re-entry permit" and all documents that proves your status such as the asylum decision, your new I-94 and ID/SSN/original passport.

Comment

• Quick question, and sorry if this has been asked before. Should I expect to have an interview with a USCIS officer for I-485 based on asylum?

Comment

As an asylee, you're allowed to travel as long as you don't travel back your country of origin and you inform the USCIS with your travel plans. The travel document serves as a re-entry permit. It is also advisable to carry your EAD card that shows "re-entry permit" and all documents that proves your status such as the asylum decision, your new I-94 and ID/SSN/original passport.
          Did you have an Advance Parole before traveling abroad with GC application pending?

Comment

Did you have an Advance Parole before traveling abroad with GC application pending?
            You don't need advance parole if you have a refugee travel document.

Comment

Quick question, and sorry if this has been asked before. Should I expect to have an interview with a USCIS officer for I-485 based on asylum?
              If you were previously interviewed by a USCIS officer, they could waive the interview. Information from:
              All adjustment of status applicants must be interviewed by an officer unless the interview is waived by USCIS.
              Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
              Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
              Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
              ---
              All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

You don't need advance parole if you have a refugee travel document.
                A lawyer said "do not travel without getting an Advance Parole before leaving when your GC application is pending".

Comment

A lawyer said "do not travel without getting an Advance Parole before leaving when your GC application is pending".
                  This is wrong. Instruction to i485 specifically says that asylees don not have to obtain advanced parole to travel if they have a pending i485 and a travel document.

Comment

Quick question, and sorry if this has been asked before. Should I expect to have an interview with a USCIS officer for I-485 based on asylum?
                    Not for principal. Derivative may be interviewed if they were not present during asylum interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopefulandgreatful View Post

Timeline for green card

Applied for GC 10/19/18

Received 10/21

Biometrics 1/2/19

2/21- fingerprints are in process.

4/10- card being produced

4/12- card mailed

4/15-card arrived.

This is amazing. Pretty fast.

When was your "fingerprint review completed?"

Surely that's somewhere between 2/21 and 4/10.

Also, are you saying it took almost 2 months from your biometric appointment to change status to "fingerprints in process?"

Comment

• guys - do we have some live document to track the asylum based I-485? i have made one and link is here below --- please can you give 5 minutes of your time and input data here? Most of us don't come back after getting approved so this document can provide all people some insight on timeline.

Last edited by samlynn; 04-19-2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chiccat View Post

This is wrong. Instruction to i485 specifically says that asylees don not have to obtain advanced parole to travel if they have a pending i485 and a travel document.
                          Can you give the page number where it says AP is not required?

Comment

Can you give the page number where it says AP is not required?
                            https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_f...pdf?download=1

page 17

If you are applying for adjustment of status under INA section 209 because you were admitted as a refugee or granted asylum, you may travel abroad and return to the United States with a refugee travel document. You may obtain a refugee travel document by filing Form I-131 as specified in the Form I-131 Instructions. However, see Form I-131 Instructions for a travel warning regarding voluntary re-availment.

Comment

• Originally posted by chiccat View Post

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_f...pdf?download=1

page 17

If you are applying for adjustment of status under INA section 209 because you were admitted as a refugee or granted asylum, you may travel abroad and return to the United States with a refugee travel document. You may obtain a refugee travel document by filing Form I-131 as specified in the Form I-131 Instructions. However, see Form I-131 Instructions for a travel warning regarding voluntary re-availment.
                              How about INA section 208?

Comment

How about INA section 208?
                                There is no such thing as adjustment of status under INA 208

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X