No announcement yet.

Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one with Asylee status faced issued renewing their driver license in NJ? It seems the MVC in NJ does not recognise asylee status or familiar with it.
    they need only valid EAD (where the case we do not need one as asylee)
    I read many cases that people reported this to Department of Justice and were successful

Comment

• Originally posted by Asyleeasylee View Post
      Any one with Asylee status faced issued renewing their driver license in NJ? It seems the MVC in NJ does not recognise asylee status or familiar with it.
      they need only valid EAD (where the case we do not need one as asylee)
      I read many cases that people reported this to Department of Justice and were successful
      The very first time I went to a DL office, they gave it to me just for 2 yrs (what EAD longs). I made a complaint right away, showing my I-94 and SS card, and then they changed it to 8yrs.
      Yesterday, I had to update my DL because I moved and changed my address. I did it online withou issues, and it should be arriving in 7-10 days. The expiration date will be the same though.
      That's in FL.

Comment

• hello. Does anybody know, if i change the address with USCIS, it could delay the process ? I just got RFE for Medical.
        Last edited by Shuvo; 07-03-2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shuvo View Post
          hello. Does anybody know, if i change the address with USCIS, it could delay the process ? I just got RFE for Medical.
          Hey! I guess it should not delay unless you change the state on which another office has jurisdiction over.

Comment

• Hi Everyone,
            After I got my Asylum granted (not Greencard yet)t, I got married to my spouse who came here as an F1 (International Student) but did not continue her studies and she has accrued unlawful presence for more than 2 years.
            According to the "Processing Times" data from USCIS, my Green Card should arrive soon. What would be the best way for me to apply for her i-485/Adjustment of Status? Is it even possible since she is out of status but did enter the US legally?
            I heard a lot about the waivers as well but do not understand on what merit it is given. I would really appreciate if someone has any idea about this situation. Thank you so much

Comment

• Originally posted by ravinmish View Post
              Hi Everyone,
              After I got my Asylum granted (not Greencard yet)t, I got married to my spouse who came here as an F1 (International Student) but did not continue her studies and she has accrued unlawful presence for more than 2 years.
              According to the "Processing Times" data from USCIS, my Green Card should arrive soon. What would be the best way for me to apply for her i-485/Adjustment of Status? Is it even possible since she is out of status but did enter the US legally?
              I heard a lot about the waivers as well but do not understand on what merit it is given. I would really appreciate if someone has any idea about this situation. Thank you so much

The best option in your scenario would be filing I-730 for her before your Green Card is approved as she has unlawful presence which can be waived and doesn't have to leave the country.

If you file for her after your I-485 is approved then she has to leave the country in order to get her Green Card.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

The best option in your scenario would be filing I-730 for her before your Green Card is approved as she has unlawful presence which can be waived and doesn't have to leave the country.

If you file for her after your I-485 is approved then she has to leave the country in order to get her Green Card.
                Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think i-730 would be an option since we got married after my asylum was granted.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think i-730 would be an option since we got married after my asylum was granted.
                  Hmm then there are only two option I guess for you

1. Once you get your Green Card, You can file for her but she has to leave the country.

2. Wait until you get your citizenship then you can file Green card for her where she doesn't have to leave the country. In this scenario, she will get the permanent GC (Not conditional GC) as she will be married to you for more than 2 years.

Comment

When you get a green card join military after 6 months apply for citizenship then apply a green card for her.
                    that is the fastest way.
                    otherwise you have to wait 4 years to file a citizen application I believe you wife can not leave the country at least 5-6 years with normal process.
                    Last edited by Hatori1980; 07-06-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Does this new law affect asylee who are already granted asylum and are waiting for their green card?

Due to COVID-19, SEVP instituted a temporary exemption regarding online courses for the spring and summer semesters. This policy permitted nonimmigrant students to take more online courses than normally permitted by federal regulation to maintain their nonimmigrant status during the COVID-19 emergency.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ab14;n736871]Does this new law affect asylee who are already granted asylum and are waiting for their green card?

What is the relationship between the link and asylee? How someone can be asylee and has a student visa!!!!???

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ab14;n736871]Does this new law affect asylee who are already granted asylum and are waiting for their green card?

After long time, someone made me laugh here after the disappointment from USCIS about their processing time and furlough....

Thank you Ab14

Comment

• I have some questions to ask. I am a granted asylum on September 2019 and I will apply for i-485 in September 2020. I have a girlfriend who is currently F1 student (She's been living in the US for 2.5 years and still studying) and we are planning to marry. At the current time, USCIS are gonna furlough employees so I guess my i-485 will take a long long time to process.
                            Should we get marry while I'm waiting for my i-485 to process or should we wait until I get my GC (probably long)? Thank you in advance for helping.
                            Last edited by asylumvn; 07-07-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by asylumvn View Post
                              I have some questions to ask. I am a granted asylum on September 2019 and I will apply for i-485 in September 2020. I have a girlfriend who is currently F1 student and we are planning to marry. At the current time, USCIS are gonna furlough employees so I guess my i-485 will take a long long time to process.
                              Should we get marry while I'm waiting for my i-485 to process or should we wait until I get my GC (probably long)? Thank you in advance for helping.
                              Move to Nebraska jurisdiction states 90 days before you file i-485. You can get married right now because at the time she gets her green card. The card will be 10 years green card. Because you are married more than two years

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatori1980 View Post

Move to Nebraska jurisdiction states 90 days before you file i-485. You can get married right now because at the time she gets her green card. The card will be 10 years green card. Because you are married more than two years
                                Thanks for your reply but I don't quite understand. Can you please be more specific? We're living in California. I will apply i-485 in 2 months

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X