Sharing my final L1-A extension Experience.
Original L1A - April 2015 (3 years)
Second L1 - March 2018 (2 years) - Vancouver, Canada
Third L1A - Feb 25, 2020 - (2 years) - Calgary, Canada.
I have a EB-1C with PD 05/31/2017, with I-140 approved, and have GC EAD. I read through the forums, and learned that L1 extensions had become extremely tough. I was skeptical about the renewal going in.
My experience with the US Consulate in Calgary, CA was very pleasant. The security folks as well as the Vice Consul were very courteous. I went in at 8:30 AM for 9 AM appointment, and was out by about 9:45 AM. In terms of documentation, here is what I carried in:
1. I-129S, G-28, I-797 (blanket)
2. Support letter from Organization (This ran to about 20 pages, was pretty detailed with org structure, names of people reporting to me, etc.)
3. Marriage / Birth Certificates (For L2 - spouse and kids)
4. Past pay slips (from before I landed in the US)
5. Original Degree Certificates
5. $500 Fraud Prevention Fee
My company had prepared a pretty significant docket that included a number of other documents (e.g. Validation of my degree from India, previous L-1 documents, last 12 months pay slips, etc) that I was just told to take along with me. So I did not really go through all of those.
Biometrics took about 5 minutes, and we paid the $500 fee for fraud prevention at the next counter.
The Visa Officer had a few questions.
VO: Are you applying for an extension for L1-A?
Me : Yes
VO : How long have you worked for the company?
A : Total of 10+ years, of which close to 5 years in the US
Q : How many people report to you?
A : XX people.. and there are YY number of people reporting to them
Q : What is your highest degree of qualification?
A : Answered
Q to Wife : What is your highest degree of qualification?
A : Answered
Q to Wife : When did you get married?
A : 200X
At this point, I saw her go for the green stamp, and knew that our visas were approved.
Me: Can we collect our passports in 3 days? (In hindsight, I should have kept quiet, I wasn't thinking clearly)
VO: Should be, but it might take a week, depending on security checks.
VO then returned both my kids' old passports (expired ones with US Visa in them).
VO: Your visas are approved
It took about 2 days (interview on Tuesday, 9:00 AM, passport in hand on Thursday 3:00 PM).
About the Calgary US Consulate:
1. Well maintained place, courteous security guards and staff.
2. They have lockers in place to store bags, cell phones, smart watches, etc.
3. There's a Tim Horton's coffee shop in the building, so one can wait (as most of us are likely to reach earlier than appointment time) especially in winter months
4. Parking is scarce, please plan to use the C-Train, it's free within the city and there's a train every 5-7 mins.