U.S. Citizenship Application and Photographs

U.S. Citizenship Application and Photographs

You can either file a Form N-400 online or complete a paper application and send it through mail.

  1. Complete your application
    Once you have a Form N-400, you must fill it out completely. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may ask for additional information if you leave it out of your application. This will delay the processing of your naturalization application.

    You will be required to answer questions about your application at your interview. When completing your application, you should answer all questions honestly. Be sure to keep a copy of your completed application for your records.
  2. Get two photographs taken
    You should include two standard, passport-style color photographs with your application. If you do not send photographs with your application, the USCIS will return the application to you.

    Photograph instructions

    Be sure there is enough white space in the margin of the photographs so there is room to sign your full name if your application is approved.

    You should print your name and “A” number lightly in pencil on the back of each photograph.
  3. Collect the necessary documents
    Applicants who are lawful permanent residents of the United States must submit photocopies (front and back) of a Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card). Depending on the circumstances, some applicants must send certain documents with their application. For more information on the documents you must send with your application, use the Document Checklist. If you do not send the necessary documents with your application, the processing of your application may be delayed. In most cases, you should send a copy of a document, but you should be prepared to bring the originals with you to your interview. The USCIS may also ask you to send other documents before your interview or bring additional documents with you to your interview.

    Be sure to send an English translation with any document that is not already in English. The translation must include a statement from the translator that he or she is competent to translate and that the translation is correct.

    If you do not have a required document and cannot get a certified copy of the original, submit a certification from the original recording authority explaining why it cannot be provided. In that case, the USCIS will consider other evidence such as notarized affidavits.

    The Document Checklist will tell you when you need to send original documents and when you may send copies. Remember to make and keep copies of all documents you send to the USCIS.
  4. Send your application, documents, and fee to a USCIS Lockbox Facility
    Send your application directly to the USCIS Lockbox that serves your area. If you try to take or mail your application to a local USCIS office, it will be returned to you.

    Current naturalization fees. You need to pay the filing fee and anyone under the age of 75, biometric fees.

    If you are applying based on 5 years as a Permanent Resident or 3 years as a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you may file for naturalization up to 90 days before you have met the “continuous residence” requirement. For example, if you are required to be in “continuous residence” for 5 years before you naturalize, you may apply once you have been in “continuous residence” 5 years minus 90 days. Do not apply too early, or your application will be returned to you or denied.

    Make sure to send it by certified mail with a return receipt requested. Also, if multiple people are applying in the family, send each application in a separate envelope.

    Use the following list to determine where to send your application, documents, and fee:

    If you currently reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

    P.O. Box 21251
    Phoenix, AZ 85036

    For private courier (non-USPS) deliveries, use:

    Attn: N-400
    2108 E. Elliot Rd.
    Tempe, AZ 85284-1806

    If you reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

    P.O. Box 660060
    Dallas, TX 75266

    For private courier (non-USPS) deliveries , use:

    Attn: N-400
    2501 S State Hwy 121, Business Suite 400
    Lewisville, TX 75067

    All naturalization applicants filing under military provisions, section 328 or 329, should file their application at the Nebraska Service Center, regardless of geographic location or jurisdiction. Please send your application to:

    Nebraska Service Center
    P.O. Box 87426
    Lincoln, NE 68501-7426

    For private courier (non-USPS) deliveries, use:

    Nebraska Service Center
    850 S Street
    Lincoln, NE 68508

What if I live overseas? If you are overseas and filing a Form N-400, you should send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility that serves the USCIS office where you want to be interviewed.

What if I am currently serving as active duty status in the military? If you are applying for naturalization based on qualifying military service and are currently serving in an active duty status, you may go to your service’s personnel office for information on how to prepare your application. You should speak to your personnel office even if you are stationed overseas. For more information, see “Naturalization Information for Military Personnel” (Form M-599).

Assembling The Application

Arrange the documents in following order:

Fee payment
A Form N-400 with two photos attached
A Form G-28, if applicable
A copy of the front and back of the I-551 (Permanent Resident) card
Other evidence
Supporting documentation

A cover letter is NOT required. Therefore, don’t write a cover letter.

Application filing instructions

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400