U.S. Naturalization Documents Checklist

U.S. Naturalization Documents Checklist

All applicants must send the following three items with their N-400 application:

  1. A photocopy of both sides of their Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green Card”). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Alien Registration Receipt Card.
    Tips: Keep a few extra copies of both sides of your green card with you separate from this application. You may need them in the future for various purposes, such as to prove that you had a green card earlier.
  2. Two (2) identical color photographs, with your name and “A” number written lightly in pencil on the back of each. For details about the photo requirements, see photo section
  3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting fee, as stated in the fees section. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempt from fingerprinting and the biometrics services fee). Write your “A” number on the back of the check or money order.

Send COPIES of the following documents, unless asked for an original.

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send: A completed original Form G-28, “Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative”.

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send: The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:

  1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
    • a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
    • a naturalization certificate, or
    • a certificate of citizenship, or
    • the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, or
    • a Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America”
  2. Your current marriage certificate; and
  3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); and
  4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
    • tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
    • IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, or
    • an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

If you were married before, send proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)).

If you are currently in U.S. military service AND are seeking citizenship based on that service, send:
A completed original Form N-426, “Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service;”

If you have taken any trip outside of the United States that lasted for 6 months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work, and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen)

Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:

  • cancelled checks
  • money order receipts
  • a court or agency printout of child support payments
  • evidence of wage garnishments
  • a letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children

If you answer “Yes” to any of the questions between 1 and 50 in Part 12 of the Form N-400, send:
A written explanation on a separate sheet of paper or in the space provided.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and no charges were filed, send an original official statement by the arresting agency or applicable court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and charges were filed, send an original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record, OR acquittal order)

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send:
An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and
Evidence that you completed your sentence. This includes an original or certified copy of your probation or parole record or evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program

If you have ever had an arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your record, send an original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction or an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like the USCIS to consider.

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Permanent Resident, send all correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your failure to file.

If you have any federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, send a signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and
Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your telephone directory, or through its website at www.irs.gov.

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send an original Form N-648, “Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions,” completed less than 6 months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you 1) are male, 2) 26 years old or older, and 3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send a “Status Information Letter” from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888 for more information).

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400