FAQ – ESTA Travel Authorization

FAQ - ESTA Travel Authorization

Q: What is the minimum computer configuration required for ESTA application?
A: You require a computer with Internet access and a web browser that supports 128-bit encryption.

Q: My English is not very good. Could you please provide translations?
A: Yes. The ESTA application and its help section are available in many languages. However, all the answers must be provided in English.

Q: I am a citizen of Canada. Do I need to apply for ESTA?
A: No. Not under any circumstances.

Q: I am a landed immigrant of Canada. Do I need to apply for ESTA?
A: Being a landed immigrant of Canada does not help in any way in entering the USA. If you are a citizen of the country that participates in ESTA, you can apply for ESTA. Otherwise, you will have to apply for the U.S. visa.

Q: I am a legal permanent resident (green card holder) of the U.S. and a citizen of the VWP country. Do I need to apply for ESTA?
A: No.

Q: I am a citizen of the VWP country. If am entering the U.S. from Canada or Mexico, do I need to apply for ESTA?
A: No, if you are entering by land. Yes, if you are flying into the U.S. Yes, if you are arriving in a cruise ship. If you are arriving in a private sailing vessel or a pleasure boat, you will need to apply for a U.S. visa.

Q: I am a citizen of the VWP country. Do I need to apply for ESTA for traveling to the U.S. territories?
A: Yes for Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands. No for Guam or Saipan.

Q: I am a U.S. citizen as well a citizen of a VWP country. Can I apply for ESTA for entering the U.S. using the VWP country’s passports?
A: No. U.S. citizens must use the U.S. passport for entering the U.S. Therefore, you should not apply for ESTA. 

However, if you have a true emergency, are unable to obtain a U.S. passport before your travel, and only have a VWP-eligible country’s passport, apply for ESTA, use that passport to travel to the U.S., and use the non-resident line when arriving at the U.S. airport.

Q: I was denied a U.S. visa earlier. Can I apply for ESTA now?
A: Your ESTA application would most likely be denied. Even if it were approved somehow, you would be subject to additional processing at the U.S. port of entry and may be denied admission to the U.S.

Q: I was denied a U.S. visa earlier when I was a citizen of the non-VWP country. I am now a citizen of a VWP country. Can I apply for ESTA?
A: Even if you are a citizen of a different country now, the fact that your visa was denied does not change, no matter what other country you were a citizen of at that time. The eligibility questions still must be answered truthfully. If you are caught doing any fraud, you may be barred from entering the U.S. again for a number of years.

Q: I am not sure whether my U.S. visa was denied, as I was allowed to withdraw my application. How should I answer the question?
A: Please check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you applied for the U.S. visa earlier to find out what exactly happened at that time, and correctly answer the question accordingly.

Q: I am not able to get past Step 1 when submitting my ESTA application.
A: You may be clicking on the ESTA graphic that shows Step 1 through Step 6. Do not click on that. Go towards the bottom of the page, and click on the “Apply” or “Next” button.

Q: I have updated my ESTA application with some of the new information. However, I am unable to print out the complete updated application. How can I do that?
A: You will not be able to go back and print the complete updated application. You will only be able to print the portion with the data fields you updated.

Q: I am a citizen of Mexico. Can I apply for ESTA to enter the U.S.?
A: No. You can enter the U.S. by getting visitors visa or a Border Crossing Card.

Q: I have applied for a Post-Date passport in the U.K. that will not be valid until after my marriage. Can I apply for ESTA?
A: Your passport will be valid on the day of your marriage. Therefore, you must wait until you are using the passport number from that passport to apply for ESTA. If you are going to be too busy with the marriage ceremony, you can ask someone else to do this on your behalf after your marriage.

Q: I already have received ESTA authorization. However, I recently changed my name as a result of marriage, divorce, or other legal proceedings. Is my ESTA still valid?
A: No. You must apply for new ESTA authorization.

Q: I have changed my name since my passport was originally issued. How do I apply for ESTA?
A: You can apply for ESTA using your old passport number and a new name. You can also get your ticket issued in your new name. However, in any case, you should bring a copy of your marriage license, divorce decree, or other legal document showing the connection between your new name and the old one on your passport.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400