Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gtaid1 View Post

I checked USCIS websites, there are pages that say if you travel while GC application pending without Advance Parole it means you are abandoning BUT it doesn't specify what type of GC.
    There are other pages about Asylees traveling and it says you need to have Refugee Travel Document.

I couldn't find ANYTHING about Asylees traveling while their GC application pending. So I wan confused and asked to see if anyone has traveled with RTD here while their GC was pending and if there was any issues ?
    Asylees travelling with a pending Adjustment of Status Application (I-485) Rules:

On Page 17 of the Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status Instructions, Page 17 says the following below, Under the heading:

IF YOU LEAVE THE UNITED STATES WHILE YOUR APPLICATION IS PENDING

If you are applying for adjustment of status under INA section 209 because you were admitted as a refugee or granted asylum, you may travel abroad and return to the United States with a refugee travel document. You may obtain a refugee travel document by filing Form I-131 as specified in the Form I-131 Instructions. However, see Form I-131 Instructions for a travel warning regarding voluntary re-availment.

If you were admitted as a refugee or granted asylum (asylee) and are applying for adjustment of status (Form I-485) one year after that, you can travel outside the United States on a valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) and are NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE AN ADVANCE PAROLE.

Asylees adjust their status under Immigration Nationality Act Section 209 not section INA Section 245. I will say it once again, All the information you need is on USCIS.gov. For pertinent asylee related information my blog is on my profile here.

Comment

• Originally posted by cub411 View Post
      Hello Everyone!

This thread have been very helpful. I have some basic questions I would appreciate it if anyone can answer. I was granted Asylum in 2018 and applied for green card back in September of last year. Got fingerprinted a month later and still waiting. It's been about 5 months which is within reason for Nebraska process center. Anyhow, I also applied for EAD renewal and didn't pay the fees for the i-765. I assumed it would be free. I got a rejection letter for the i-765 saying I didn't pay the right fees. Did I make the wrong assumption? Anyhow, I ignored the letter. Not sure what to do? Thanks.
      I applied to EAD renewal with pending I485 and didn't pay any fees with no problems. I just attached explanation letter where explained everything.

Comment

• ASYLEES WITH PENDING PERMANENT RESIDENCY APPLICATION, FORM I-485, DO NOT REQUIRE AN ADVANCE PAROLE TO RETURN TO THE UNITED STATES AFTER TRAVEL ABROAD.

There are consequences for an Asylee returning as a parolee. DO NOT APPLY FOR OR USE AN ADVANCE PAROLE, Asylees should obtain U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) instead of grants of Parole.

Comment

• Anyone from texas service center got approved recently. Please post the timeline here

Comment

• Originally posted by gtaid1 View Post
            If my Green Card application is still pending and I have refugee travel document, can I travel with my RTD or do I still need Advance Parole?
            If your permanent residency is pending, You will only need a U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) to return to the United States. DO NOT USE OR APPLY FOR AN ADVANCE PAROLE. You are adjusting your status under INA Section 209 and not INA Section 245. All the information you need is on uscis.gov! To find the rule, It is located on page 17 of the Form I-485 in the Instructions.

Please note, You will continue to use and travel with a U.S. Refugee Travel Document, Form I-571 until you become a United States Citizen.

Comment

• Originally posted by cub411 View Post
              Hello Everyone!

This thread have been very helpful. I have some basic questions I would appreciate it if anyone can answer. I was granted Asylum in 2018 and applied for green card back in September of last year. Got fingerprinted a month later and still waiting. It's been about 5 months which is within reason for Nebraska process center. Anyhow, I also applied for EAD renewal and didn't pay the fees for the i-765. I assumed it would be free. I got a rejection letter for the i-765 saying I didn't pay the right fees. Did I make the wrong assumption? Anyhow, I ignored the letter. Not sure what to do? Thanks.
              Hi, when did you get the rejection letter?

Comment

• Originally posted by thescientist_7453 View Post
                Hi Everyone,

I've been checking into this forum for 2 years now, so its only fair I provide my timeline:

Aug-2018 : LGBT Humanitarian Asylum Granted

Oct-2019 : AOS i485 filed & received by Nebraska Service Center
                Nov 14 2019: Bio-metrics Taken
                Nov 16 2019: Fingerprint Review Completed.

Just playing the waiting game now, I feel like if I had applied my i485 in AUG like I was supposed to, maybe it would be done by now based on what I've seen from other Nebraska filers...

I had some questions:

Has anyone ever traveled on their National passport with their Asylum Based GC? Any advice on that? My lawyer says this shouldnt be an issue as they all say it is.

Second: How is your experience using a RTD, getting visas and recognition for it in foreign countries.
                No asylee or permanent residents who obtained such status through asylum should travel with their national passports. All travels undertaking by an asylee or a permanent resident who obtained such status through asylum must travel with a U.S. Refugee Travel Document, Form I-571.

DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THE PASSPORT ISSUED BY THE COUNTRY FROM WHICH YOU WON ASYLUM.

Doing so can lead the United States to conclude that an asylee has sought and received protection from their home country and leads to revocation of a person's asylum status.'s Asylees that have a criminal record who intends to travel outside the United States should consult an immigration attorney, Always use a Refugee Travel Document, Form I-571 to depart and return to the United States of America, which does not carry the same risk as using the asylee foreign passport.

I am an experienced traveler using a U.S. Refugee Travel Document, Form I-571, It is a document that is used in lieu of one's passport. I worked in Passenger Services for while and this is how I know the rules of travel, many of the rules regarding travel Refugee Travel Document. I have been to several destination, I have been to Canada, The Kingdom of Netherlands, Bahamas, Dominican Republic and a few other destination, at the end of next month I will be off again, I will be visiting the Kingdom of Netherlands and the Kingdom of Belgium. Ofcourse, I am the self described expert in the U.S. Refugee Travel Document, Form I-571, subscribe to my blog or my be in my personal network.

Comment

• I keep forgetting to post this, MY LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The information contained in my responses is provided for information purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Ofcourse, all my opinions expressed is as a result of experience as I have successfully navigated the U.S. Immigration system.

Also, please be reminded that Immigration Mistake can be costly, pay attention to rules regarding asylees, refugees and permanent residence. Please note, that there are special consideration for travel for asylees and refugees. The Trump Administration is serious on matters of immigration, pay attention to the rules.

Congress intended for asylees and refugees to receive special consideration with regard to travel. So note, any person who was granted asylum or refugee status in the United States is allowed to travel internationally. However, he or she must receive refugee travel documents to be able to return to the United States. If an asylee or refugee is seeking entry into the United States must be able to present a valid and unexpired refugee travel document at his or her place of entry,

Comment

• I think my case is approved from Texas.
                    applied I485 on May 2019 based on asylee. Yesterday I got notice about biometric appointment and I was preparing give to biometric on 27 Feb. But today I got a text about my case and i checked with uscis website and it says;

Duplicate Notice Was Mailed

On February 20, 2020, we sent you a duplicate notice about a decision on your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number YYYY YYYY , or describing how we will process the case if it is still pending. Your case is located at our Texas Service Center location. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your duplicate notice by March 21, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.
                    and after 2 min i recieved an email and it says
                    There has been a recent processing action taken on your case.

Receipt Number: x YYYY X

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Acceptance

On February 20, 2020, we sent you a duplicate notice about a decision on your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS, Receipt Number YYYY YYYY X, or describing how we will process the case if it is still pending. Your case is located at our Texas Service Center location. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your duplicate notice by March 21, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.
                    do you think my case approved?

Comment

• Originally posted by 27march View Post
                      I think my case is approved from Texas.
                      applied I485 on May 2019 based on asylee. Yesterday I got notice about biometric appointment and I was preparing give to biometric on 27 Feb. But today I got a text about my case and i checked with uscis website and it says;

and after 2 min i recieved an email and it says

do you think my case approved?

Not to disappoint you but I heard there were lot of wrong notification went to the people from USCIS in the past and present.

I am not sure and I will be very happy for you to hear the good news.

Why don't you call the Customer Service and talk to them about the status of the case ?

If they don't tell you then call couple of time and give it a try rather than waiting for the letter. I hope they share some details with you.
                      Last edited by luckycharm4111; 02-20-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fru-Fru View Post

Hi, when did you get the rejection letter?
                        Back in October so it's been a while.

Comment

• Hi everyone!
                          I will need to send form in a month, can you please tell me which center to send?
                          I found that it's in Arizona, but later read that there is no center there. My state is California.
                          I'm little bit confused.

thank you all in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by Ab14 View Post
                            Me too got a letter to do biometric again, I think it is a good sign. Finger crossed ????
                            me too, filed in TEXAS ?!!!
                            July 26, 2019 : AOS Package sent to USCIS
                            July 29, 2019 : TEXTS received n credit card charged
                            August 5, 2019 : NOA letter received in the mail

Comment

• Does anyone have any knowledge with traveling to the Middle East using a Refugee Travel Document? Can I obtain visa in the UAE or Qatar using my RTD? There is absolutely no information on the internet regarding this. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by locker View Post
                                Hi everyone!
                                I will need to send form in a month, can you please tell me which center to send?
                                I found that it's in Arizona, but later read that there is no center there. My state is California.
                                I'm little bit confused.

thank you all in advance
                                If you live in: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, file at:

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS
                                PO Box 21281
                                Phoenix, AZ 85036

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
                                Attn: NFB AOS
                                1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
                                Suite 100
                                Phoenix, AZ 85034

Where you file your Form I-485 depends on your eligibility category. Review the information below to see where you should file your application.Applications that are not mailed to th

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X