Today, I had my F2 visa interview. I am sharing my interview as I can't find much information about F2 visas online. I gave my interview in Kathmandu, Nepal. My husband had got a visa from New Delhi, India a few weeks back.
Classes of my husband start from August 18, 2021.
Me: Good morning, ma'am.
VO: Good morning. Give me your I20, marriage certificate, and marriage album.
Passed the documents to VO.
Me: Here, they are, ma'am.
VO: So, you are applying for F2 visa.
Me: Yes, ma'am.
VO: When and where was your husband's VISA issued?
Me: My husband's VISA was issued from New Delhi, India on 12th July, 2021.
VO: Which university is he studying?
Me: Currently, he is here in Nepal waiting for me outside the gate. His flight is on 8th August, and he will be studying in XXX from 18th August, 2021.
VO: So, he is here?
Me: Yes, ma'am. (VO interrupted again.)
VO: Who is funding him?
Me: The University of XXX is funding him as he got a graduate research assistantship, covering his living expenses and waiving his tuition fees.
VO: Who is funding you?
Me: My husband is funding me. He has savings of XXX USD while he was working in XXX.
VO: Where did he work previously?
Me: He worked at XXX in the position of XXX for three years.
VO (with exclamation): Oh, XXX position!
VO: What is his plan after graduation?
Me: He will return back to Nepal and reapply for the organization he previously worked for.
VO: What is your plan after his graduation?
Me: I will also return Nepal with him and apply for XXX in the role of XXX. [Reason why I want to work for XXX in the role of XXX]
VO is happy with my plan and gives a cute smile.
VO: I am putting your passport here. Please take this green slip and I20, marriage certificate, and marriage album.
Me (confused): So, you are approving my visa, right?
VO: Yes, I am approving your visa.
Me: Thank you, ma'am (with smiling face).
So, my suggestions for F2 visa applicants:
0. Have ALL the documentation ready.
1. Be coherent in your answers and have as much clarity as possible in them.
2. Practice a lot and give mock interviews. I gave around 40 mock interviews.
3. Do not lie. Lying might create psychological tension in applicants.
4. DS 160 content and your answers MUST match.
5. Have confident body language and maintain good eye contact. Also, some amount of smiling might help.
6. Understand the purpose of VISA, its limitations, and how you can make it worth time spent even with the limitations.
7. Know as much as possible about your spouse.
For F2 VISA interview experiences, look up in Google. One site that was extremely helpful for me was immihelp. Please share your F2 experience with others as that might help others.