Bona Fide Marriage Documentation for US Immigration Purposes

You must prove that your marriage is bona fide and not a sham for the sole intent of getting a green card. Collect and photocopy as many of the following items below as possible. Do not send originals.

  • Wedding invitations, church certificates, or other reliable documents that show the required relationship.
  • Joint bank accounts
  • Joint credit card statements
  • Joint club memberships
  • Joint federal and state tax returns
  • Copies of actual credit cards, health insurance cards, or other “joint” cards that you have together, showing same account number.
  • Photographs of you and your spouse taken before and during your marriage and wedding photographs, preferably those that include parents and other relatives from both families.

    If the camera does not insert the date automatically, write the date the picture was taken and a brief description on the back. if you are photocopying them, write the description underneath.
  • Do not send wedding or other videos.
  • Copies of letters and/or emails between you
  • Phone bills showing your conversations
  • Auto registration showing joint ownership and/or addresses
  • Rental agreements, leases, or mortgages showing that you have lived together and/or have leased or bought property in both spouses’ names.
  • Receipts for gifts (such as flowers, jewelry, art, candy etc.) that you have purchased for each other.
  • Your mutual child’s birth certificate or a doctor’s report indicating that you are/were pregnant.
  • Hotel and airline receipts showing trips that you have taken together or to visit each other.
  • Letters from friends/family to each or both of you, mailed to an address where you were living together
  • Utility bills in both your names
  • Evidence that one spouse has made the other a beneficiary on his/her life or health insurance or retirement account
  • Car, health, or life insurance policy that has both of your names on it.
  • A car title or other titles to property showing joint ownership
  • Copies of Christmas cards or other holidays cards addressed to you or both spouses
  • Other family pictures of you together

New Immigrants Insurance

Get Quotes

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400

Greencard Holder Insurance

Read Article

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400