I applied for B1 visa last year in october 2017 for visiting business conference of professional society but I was nervous. Last time I was observing all the counters and finding best consulate to have interview with. While standing in a line I found a lady talking with good interest to one mechanical engineering student and his VISA got approved. I thought I should get that interviewer if possible. When my turn came there were two windows got empty and one was of the counseler which I talked above. I went there and stood there but the other officer called me back to another counter, the officer I didn't like. She asked me few question first few went well with confidence. then as I was nervous I fumbled on 4th question (How much is your annual salary, I had memorised monthly salary) and I gave her document from my office stating salary even though she didn't ask me. then I was handed 214(b)
2nd attempt: 20th September 2018
This time I prepared myself well practiced all the questions mentioned in this website by self recording my answers and improving on my mistakes.
On the day before interview I practiced the memorised answers in front of mirror of hotel that gave me more confident.
My turn was at 9:30am I reached US consulate at 8:30am and were called in at 8:45am. During wait time I made up my mindset whomsoever
is the interviewer I am going to give my best answers, it doesn't matter whoever is the interviewer.My turn came at 10:30 am.
Following questions asked:
1) Where are you travelling?
A. Zachary, Louisiana.
A. To attend internal meetings along with shortpump design training and to discuss about capaciy... he cut in between
3) what were you doing in kenya?
A. To attend business conference of NGO
4) What is your monthly salary?
A. 3X K
5) Does anyone in your family stay in US?
6)Is your company paying for your trip?
7) For how much time are you travelling to US?
A. 3 weeks
8) Why so long?
A. The upcoming project is bit complex and me along with all the stakeholders are going to have detailed discussions on capacity planning, cut in between....
VO: Your visa is approved taking his hand back with passport.
ME: Surprised and said sorry
VO: Your visa is approved sir.
No docs asked.
1) Prepare thoroughly by recording all the answers to questions given in this website ( I rehersed for almost 100 interviews). Not just read the answers. You will find your mistakes in recording and improve upon them.
2) Then when all the answers are finalized practice infront of mirror.
3) This youtube video was much helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSjjdEZexN8&list=PLqp9ISwAcUNCLx544BpK2LhV3ulez7O1f
4) Have faith watch this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK1-gOZgX7k&list=PLqp9ISwAcUNAc8NPR9lP34FEnC9CBxvqg&index=3