Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aisabini View Post
    yes,basically touched on bit of asylum story again ,employment,school for kiddo etc. it took about 20 mins each,like i said with honesty your story will be consistent and the officers are very kind.
    Good luck guys
    Thanks for sharing. I thought they would go over the application one more time to make sure if country condition hasn't changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick213 View Post

Congratulations!! I think you have one of the fastest timeframe
      Thank you! It made my Thanksgiving holiday complete.

Comment

• Originally posted by petendt View Post
        Hi Guys, I had great news. I just got the Green Card. My I-485 timelines:
        07/14/19 I-485 application submitted
        07/16/19 UCCIS received, case allocated to Nebraska Service Center, Credit Card Charged
        08/02/19 Biometrics appointment letter
        08/14/19 Walk-in biometrics in the USCIS support center
        08/16/19 Fingerprint review was completed
        11/22/19 I-485 application was approved
        11/29/19 GC in hand

It seems Nebraska Service Center processes Green Card applications much faster than any other service center. I didn't expect I could get GC so soon, not to mention I had a speeding ticket that had been dismissed before the application.
        Congratulations!!! Where did you apply and did you have an interview? Thanks for your reply in advance!
        Last edited by Bek0107; 12-01-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bek0107 View Post

Congratulations!!! Where did you apply and did you have an interview? Thanks for your reply in advance!
          SF Bay Area. I didn't have an interview with USCIS for approval of I-485 application.

Comment

SF Bay Area. I didn't have an interview with USCIS for approval of I-485 application.
            Are you principle or derivative asylee?

Comment

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

Are you principle or derivative asylee?
              Did you mean principal? Yes

Comment

Did you mean principal? Yes
                Yep, sorry for the typo.
                Congrats again!!!

Comment

I'm in the bay area too. Applied Oct/2019. Hopefully it'll be approved just as fast as yours. Congrats.

Comment

• Hi y'all

Did anyone applied for a GC based on asylee status along an I-602 (Application By Refugee For Waiver of Grounds of Excludability) form?

ps.: Specifically under 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) - INADMISSIBILITY DUE TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE VIOLATIONS

I was convicted in my home country for smoking a marijuana joint.

In addition, I saw on one of the previous threads that it's possible to apply for citizenship earlier if married with a US citizen. I've been married for over three years now with a US citizen. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks a lot for your help

Comment

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

A lot of opinions exist as regards to this topic. Back to 10 years ago up until about 2016, it was safer to travel with TD for LPRs based on asylum. With revised USCIS policies, all LPRs (regardless of how it was gotten) are all safe to travel. LPRs based on asylum are also free to visit their COP, but frequent visits become suspicious and may be an issue if and when they apply for citizenship, as this gives USCIS one last chance to review your entire immigration records again and the frequent or extended COP visits might come up. Now if you plan to remain an LPR forever, visiting your COP may not be an issue but just not frequently. At the port of entry, not all border officials are up-to-date with this revised policy and some officials may illegally harass you at the POE for visiting your COP. Some former LPR friends of mine based on asylum are now citizens and their COP travel(s) was barely an issue at their N400 interview. 3 recently became citizens last and this month. A friend, LPR based on asylum, recently visited her COP and returned safely and later visited Canada and upon return to the US, the border official found her COP entry stamp on her passport and wanted to make an issue out of it but his supervisor came out and cleared her and educated him on the latest policy. She also returned safely as well. If you do eventually plan to apply for citizenship, I would keep my COP visits (if necessary) very brief, few and far between.

At the end of the day, you decide which works for you.
                      Mekus21
                      Please help me out my travel document have only 5 months validity at the time of traveling and Thai Consulate needs at least 6 months validity in order to issue visa USCIS wont renew it that early cause it still have 7 months to expire and the processing time is also 4 months. i have valid Indian passport and i asked one immigration attorney and he said you must travel on TD not on passport i have all the things done. spent more than $3500..
                      please help me i trust you.

Comment

• Originally posted by bayareaasylee View Post
                        Hi y'all

Did anyone applied for a GC based on asylee status along an I-602 (Application By Refugee For Waiver of Grounds of Excludability) form?

ps.: Specifically under 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) - INADMISSIBILITY DUE TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE VIOLATIONS

I was convicted in my home country for smoking a marijuana joint.

In addition, I saw on one of the previous threads that it's possible to apply for citizenship earlier if married with a US citizen. I've been married for over three years now with a US citizen. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks a lot for your help
                        Hey, you need to have been married for 3 years to a US citizen as a permanent resident to be able to apply for citizenship. Say, you were to get your green card in March 2020, then your 3 years would start counting from March 2020 upwards. But, given that asylee green cards are backdated by one year, your green card approved on March 2020, for example, would be backdated to March 2019 and as long as you were married to your spouse before or starting from March 2019, your N400 countdown begins and you would only have 2 more years or until March 2022 (or December 2021 the earliest - since we are allowed to file 3 months in advance to when our N400 eligibility is due). Since you live in CA, you would be under NSC's jurisdiction and you could expect your green card process to take about 4 to 6 months. Wish you all the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by chaddhaaman View Post

Mekus21
                          Please help me out my travel document have only 5 months validity at the time of traveling and Thai Consulate needs at least 6 months validity in order to issue visa USCIS wont renew it that early cause it still have 7 months to expire and the processing time is also 4 months. i have valid Indian passport and i asked one immigration attorney and he said you must travel on TD not on passport i have all the things done. spent more than $3500..
                          Are you an asylee or permanent resident? If the former, then it is imperative that you travel with your TD. Please do not visit your COP as an asylee because an asylee's status is always re-evaluated by a border official upon return to the US. As a permanent resident, you are safe to travel with your Indian passport, especially if you won't be visiting your COP. Traveling with a TD as a permanent resident would be nice to have but in its absence your passport would be ok. I know several former green card holders travel a few times with their national passports and are US citizens today, especially if your COP visits are nil or very few and far between.

Goodluck.
                          Last edited by mekus21; 12-10-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

Are you an asylee or permanent resident? If the former, then it is imperative that you travel with your TD. Please do not visit your COP as an asylee because an asylee's status is always re-evaluated by a border official upon return to the US. As a permanent resident, you are safe to travel with your Indian passport, especially if you won't be visiting your COP. Traveling with a TD as a permanent resident would be nice to have but in its absence your passport would be ok. I know several former green card holders travel a few times with their national passports and are US citizens today, especially if your COP visits are nil or very few and far between.

Goodluck.
                            Thanks Mekus21, Mean time i just called the USCIS office and double checked with the officer and he assured me if you have GC and valid passport you are good to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by chaddhaaman View Post

Mekus21
                              Uscis will renew it for you mine it is still valid but when you renew it you have to send it with your application.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatori1980 View Post

Uscis will renew it for you mine it is still valid but when you renew it you have to send it with your application.
                                But it is valid for 7 months yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X