Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

A lot of opinions exist as regards to this topic. Back to 10 years ago up until about 2016, it was safer to travel with TD for LPRs based on asylum. With revised USCIS policies, all LPRs (regardless of how it was gotten) are all safe to travel. LPRs based on asylum are also free to visit their COP, but frequent visits become suspicious and may be an issue if and when they apply for citizenship, as this gives USCIS one last chance to review your entire immigration records again and the frequent or extended COP visits might come up. Now if you plan to remain an LPR forever, visiting your COP may not be an issue but just not frequently. At the port of entry, not all border officials are up-to-date with this revised policy and some officials may illegally harass you at the POE for visiting your COP. Some former LPR friends of mine based on asylum are now citizens and their COP travel(s) was barely an issue at their N400 interview. 3 recently became citizens last and this month. A friend, LPR based on asylum, recently visited her COP and returned safely and later visited Canada and upon return to the US, the border official found her COP entry stamp on her passport and wanted to make an issue out of it but his supervisor came out and cleared her and educated him on the latest policy. She also returned safely as well. If you do eventually plan to apply for citizenship, I would keep my COP visits (if necessary) very brief, few and far between.

At the end of the day, you decide which works for you.
    Mekus21
    Please help me out my travel document have only 5 months validity at the time of traveling and Thai Consulate needs at least 6 months validity in order to issue visa USCIS wont renew it that early cause it still have 7 months to expire and the processing time is also 4 months. i have valid Indian passport and i asked one immigration attorney and he said you must travel on TD not on passport i have all the things done. spent more than $3500..
    please help me i trust you.

Comment

• Originally posted by bayareaasylee View Post
      Hi y'all

Did anyone applied for a GC based on asylee status along an I-602 (Application By Refugee For Waiver of Grounds of Excludability) form?

ps.: Specifically under 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) - INADMISSIBILITY DUE TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE VIOLATIONS

I was convicted in my home country for smoking a **** joint.

In addition, I saw on one of the previous threads that it's possible to apply for citizenship earlier if married with a US citizen. I've been married for over three years now with a US citizen. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks a lot for your help
      Hey, you need to have been married for 3 years to a US citizen as a permanent resident to be able to apply for citizenship. Say, you were to get your green card in March 2020, then your 3 years would start counting from March 2020 upwards. But, given that asylee green cards are backdated by one year, your green card approved on March 2020, for example, would be backdated to March 2019 and as long as you were married to your spouse before or starting from March 2019, your N400 countdown begins and you would only have 2 more years or until March 2022 (or December 2021 the earliest - since we are allowed to file 3 months in advance to when our N400 eligibility is due). Since you live in CA, you would be under NSC's jurisdiction and you could expect your green card process to take about 4 to 6 months. Wish you all the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by chaddhaaman View Post

Mekus21
        Please help me out my travel document have only 5 months validity at the time of traveling and Thai Consulate needs at least 6 months validity in order to issue visa USCIS wont renew it that early cause it still have 7 months to expire and the processing time is also 4 months. i have valid Indian passport and i asked one immigration attorney and he said you must travel on TD not on passport i have all the things done. spent more than $3500..
        Are you an asylee or permanent resident? If the former, then it is imperative that you travel with your TD. Please do not visit your COP as an asylee because an asylee's status is always re-evaluated by a border official upon return to the US. As a permanent resident, you are safe to travel with your Indian passport, especially if you won't be visiting your COP. Traveling with a TD as a permanent resident would be nice to have but in its absence your passport would be ok. I know several former green card holders travel a few times with their national passports and are US citizens today, especially if your COP visits are nil or very few and far between.

Goodluck.
        Last edited by mekus21; 12-10-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

Are you an asylee or permanent resident? If the former, then it is imperative that you travel with your TD. Please do not visit your COP as an asylee because an asylee's status is always re-evaluated by a border official upon return to the US. As a permanent resident, you are safe to travel with your Indian passport, especially if you won't be visiting your COP. Traveling with a TD as a permanent resident would be nice to have but in its absence your passport would be ok. I know several former green card holders travel a few times with their national passports and are US citizens today, especially if your COP visits are nil or very few and far between.

Goodluck.
          Thanks Mekus21, Mean time i just called the USCIS office and double checked with the officer and he assured me if you have GC and valid passport you are good to go.

Comment

Mekus21
            Uscis will renew it for you mine it is still valid but when you renew it you have to send it with your application.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatori1980 View Post

Uscis will renew it for you mine it is still valid but when you renew it you have to send it with your application.
              But it is valid for 7 months yet.

Comment

But it is valid for 7 months yet.
                No problem even it still valid for 11 months you can renew it

Comment

• Hi Aisabini, what field office have had an interview?

Comment

• Hi guys, can you help me to explain...

what is different “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken” and “fingerprint review was completed”?

thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Loveusa99 View Post
                      Hi guys, can you help me to explain...

what is different “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken” and “fingerprint review was completed”?

thank you
                      A friend submitted I485 in early August 2019. His case status stopped at 'the case was received' even after walk-in biometrics in September 2019 until recently. Serval days ago, his case status was changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken.” In my case, the status was changed to 'fingerprint review was completed' the day after walk-in biometrics, one month after application submission which was done in mid-July, 2019. Even so, I couldn't tell the difference between “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken” and “fingerprint review was completed”

Comment

• Originally posted by Loveusa99 View Post
                        Hi guys, can you help me to explain...

thank you
                        They updated the system. Now they will show "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" instead of "Fingerprint review was completed". At least it looks like that.
                        I guess the wording was misleading and they updated to make it a little clearer.
                        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
                        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
                        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
                        ---
                        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

• Asylees must only travel with a United States issued Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571). If an asylee travels with the passport issued by the country from which he/she has been granted asylum. He/She can be seen as avaliing herself of the protections of her government which could lead to a finding by the U.S. government that she no longer needs asylum protection.

If, however, an asylee has any criminal convictions in the U.S., he or she should consult with an immigration attorney before travelling outside of the United States.

ASYLEES should understanding, however, that even after obtaining legal permanent residence, they will have a use a Refugee Travel Document to travel abroad. It is only after an asylee becomes a U.S. citizen that he will be eligible for a U.S. passport. Asylees should also understand that until they obtain U.S. citizenship they cannot travel back to their countries. When they apply to naturalize, they will have to list all international travel after obtaining legal permanent in the United States, and a DHS Official could re-open the asylum grant upon learning that an applicant traveled back to his country of nationality.

PERMANENT RESIDENTS THROUGH ASYLUM WHEN FLYING FLYING MUST USE A REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT (FORM 1-571) AND NOT THE PASSPORT OF ONE'S NATIONALITY.

Comment

• Hi King24..Philadephia field office as am based in PA.

Comment

• Hi guys! Just checked progress of TSC and NSC and guess what? Right, they rolled back to November 2017! What a nice present for Christmas!

Comment

• Good News!!!

for the people who filed at the Texas Service Center (TSC), processing times went down.

Current processing times are 7 months to 26 months.

Happy Holidays Y'all

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X