No announcement yet.

Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mekus21 hey first of all congratulations!!! Quick question though, did you have an interview? Thanks

Comment

• Hello everyone,
      my timeline is:
      - on May 16 2018 i-485 application receive to NSC (live in Portland, Oregon)
      - on October 31 2018 interview was done
      - the status now “Case was transferred for jurisdiction”
      I did submit 2-3 e-requests but the only response (pending).
      it’s now 18 months of waiting.
      a question for the people who got their approval after more than a year of the application, is it possible to receive the approval without retaking the medical, or They will ask me to take the medical again?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

This usually happens if the USCIS officer reviewing the file doubts the merit of the asylee's status and transfers the application to her asylum office to re-evaluate the applicant's asylum status for a final review.

Has anything significantly changed between your times of grant of asylum and application for I485? For example, asylum was obtained based on sexual orientation but you are now married to the opposite sex as of filing for the green card? Or asylum obtained based on religious persecution (minority Christian in a majority Islamic country) and you now practice Islam?
        Thank you for your respond. Nothing has changed between times of grant of asylum and application for I485. Same sex, same religion, same political opinion. I've married, but my wife has Green Card and I didn't include her in my application. This transfer looks weird

Comment

• Originally posted by Bek0107 View Post
          mekus21 hey first of all congratulations!!! Quick question though, did you have an interview? Thanks
          No. For the most part, no interview for asylee-based I485 applicants. Except in rare cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mouhannad View Post
            Hello everyone,
            my timeline is:
            a question for the people who got their approval after more than a year of the application, is it possible to receive the approval without retaking the medical, or They will ask me to take the medical again?

Thanks
            On what basis was your filed I485 on?

Asylee-based I485?

Comment

• mekus21
              yes it’s based on granted asylum

Comment

• Originally posted by Mouhannad View Post
                Hello everyone,
                my timeline is:

Thanks
                1. Are you a primary or derivative asylee?
                2. How was your experience with interview? What did they ask?

Comment

• Originally posted by mekus21 View Post

Is Thailand the country of persecution (COP) you claimed asylum from? If not, you may travel freely with your TD. However, the TD is NOT a US passport and if no visa is required for US citizens, you would need to obtain a Thai visa on your travel document to be able to use it to travel, because you are not yet a citizen.

If Thailand is visa-free for Indian citizens, you still may be able to use your Indian passport to travel to Thailand. You need to understand that, and it was made clear by USCIS, all green card holders are free to travel the whole world with their national passport. A former asylee who adjusted to green card holder has voluntarily 'dis-availed' himself of his asylee status and its protections thereof, and has become a permanent resident just like others, and is free to travel around the world with their national passport or a TD if they choose. However, excessive multiple travels to and/or extended periods of stay in one's COP might be a possible cause for concern during the citizenship interview. One or two trips to COP isn't usually an issue at the N400 interview, especially if well explained why you had to travel and actions you took to keep yourself safe while there. Several permanent residents based on asylum with one or two trips to their COP have obtained citizenship recently without any issues whatsoever.

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoption...anent_resident
                  Thanks for your reply, but when ever i asked they say you are not able to use your national passport to travel if you are LPR in direct reason of asylum you have to use TD to travel.
                  can i make appointment with immigration to confirm. i just asked one of the attorney he says we can travel but it could be problem its safe to travel on TD.....

STILL CONFUSE....

Comment

• Originally posted by chaddhaaman View Post

Thanks for your reply, but when ever i asked they say you are not able to use your national passport to travel if you are LPR in direct reason of asylum you have to use TD to travel.
                    can i make appointment with immigration to confirm. i just asked one of the attorney he says we can travel but it could be problem its safe to travel on TD.....

STILL CONFUSE....
                    A lot of opinions exist as regards to this topic. Back to 10 years ago up until about 2016, it was safer to travel with TD for LPRs based on asylum. With revised USCIS policies, all LPRs (regardless of how it was gotten) are all safe to travel. LPRs based on asylum are also free to visit their COP, but frequent visits become suspicious and may be an issue if and when they apply for citizenship, as this gives USCIS one last chance to review your entire immigration records again and the frequent or extended COP visits might come up. Now if you plan to remain an LPR forever, visiting your COP may not be an issue but just not frequently. At the port of entry, not all border officials are up-to-date with this revised policy and some officials may illegally harass you at the POE for visiting your COP. Some former LPR friends of mine based on asylum are now citizens and their COP travel(s) was barely an issue at their N400 interview. 3 recently became citizens last and this month. A friend, LPR based on asylum, recently visited her COP and returned safely and later visited Canada and upon return to the US, the border official found her COP entry stamp on her passport and wanted to make an issue out of it but his supervisor came out and cleared her and educated him on the latest policy. She also returned safely as well. If you do eventually plan to apply for citizenship, I would keep my COP visits (if necessary) very brief, few and far between.

At the end of the day, you decide which works for you.

Comment

• Hello, good people!

Anyone received a GC from TSC recently? When did you file?

I filed in May 2019, no news so far. Status states "processing".

Comment

• Originally posted by elena007 View Post
                        Hello, good people!

I filed in May 2019, no news so far. Status states "processing".
                        TSC is taking about 12 months on average.

Comment

• Hello guys! It’s been almost one year of waiting game , I’m loosing my patience. My timeline: got approved on 12/7/2017 ( asylum based) , applied for GC on 11/30/2018 TSC .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fru-Fru View Post
                            Hello guys! It’s been almost one year of waiting game , I’m loosing my patience. My timeline: got approved on 12/7/2017 ( asylum based) , applied for GC on 11/30/2018 TSC .
                            I feel your pain! We applied on March 2018 still waiting!! That’s TSC!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabinan View Post

I feel your pain! We applied on March 2018 still waiting!! That’s TSC!!!
                              I'd go to the Congressman and US Ombudsman if waiting more than a year. Doesn't hurt but might help

Comment

• Originally posted by elena007 View Post
                                Hello, good people!

I filed in April 2019, no news so far. Status states "processing".
                                Same here.

Applied GC in April 2019 at TSC

its been more than 180 days and no updates on my case yet.

Last edited by luckycharm4111; 05-13-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X