Replace Green Card (Permanent Resident Card)
Permanent residents (or even conditional residents in some situations) need to either renew or replace their permanent resident card for a variety of reasons such as it is expiring, has expired or has been lost, damaged, stolen etc.

Unlike the old card, which did not have an expiration date, the latest Form I-551 has an expiration date and is required to be renewed every ten years. This will enable the USCIS to improve the card with additional features like photographs, which are regularly updated. This also makes it less susceptible to fraud.

You will not lose your permanent resident status if you have not yet applied for a replacement green card, nor will you be penalized if you have not yet applied for the new card. However, lawful permanent residents are required by law to carry evidence of their status, and expired I-151s no longer meet this requirement.

If you lost your green card or if it was stolen, file a police report to avoid any possibility of misuse.

There is a simple alternative to green card replacement for those who qualify - apply for citizenship. As a U.S. citizen there is no need for a green card. Legal permanent residents who naturalize join a diverse family of 280 million proud citizens. They are able to participate fully in the American democratic system of self-government, which includes the right to vote and to hold elected office. They never have to worry again about the need for renewing a green card.

Do not use this Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. You must apply accordingly to remove the conditions:
  • If you became a conditional resident through a marriage to a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, submit Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence; or

  • If you became a conditional resident based on a financial investment in a U.S. business, submit Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.

Reasons to File
If you are a permanent resident or conditional resident, you may file this application:
  • To replace a lost, stolen or destroyed card; or

  • To update a card after legal change of name or other biographic data; or

  • To replace a card that is mutilated; or

  • To replace a card that is incorrect on account of USCIS administrative error; or
    (No application fee. No biometric services fee.)

  • To replace a card that was never received.
    (No application fee. No biometric services fee.)

If you are a permanent resident, you must also file this application:
  • To replace a card that is expiring; or

  • Within 30 days of your 14th birthday, to replace a card issued before your 14th birthday; or
    (No biometric services fee.)

  • If you have been a lawful permanent resident in the United States and are now taking up a Commuter Status while actually residing outside the United States; or

  • If you have been in resident Commuter status and are now taking up actual residence in the United States; or

  • If your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident; or

  • When you have a previous version of the card (e.g., USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103, or Form Form I-151 - none of them are valid to prove your immigration status any more) and must replace it with the current type of the card (I551).

Although the old Form I-151 is no longer considered valid since March 20, 1996, the USCIS allows those who may not have received notice to file the new form and submit an application for the replacement of the green card with the USCIS or to file for U.S. citizenship.

USCIS is currently issued the green card (Form I-551) for 10 years and it must be renewed prior to the expiration date. Although the permanent resident status does not expire with the card, failure to renew the card could result in being barred from re-entry until a new card can be obtained, a process that easily takes many months. Also, an expired green card is not a valid document for purposes of employment eligibility verification.

A separate application form, fees and set of documents are required for each applicant (including yourself, each of your family members) who needs to replace the green card.
  • Fee payment, as applicable

  • Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

  • No photographs. You will be photographed at the time of your fingerprint appointment.

  • Category specific
    • Your card was never received
      If USCIS mailed you a Permanent Resident Card more than 30 days ago and you have not received it; and

      It has been returned to USCIS by the Post Office as undeliverable; and

      You have not moved from the address you provided to USCIS during the application or immigrant visa process that led to the creation of the card not received.

      • Select Reason "b" in the application, which reads "My authorized card was never received".

      • Any supporting documentation

      • Copy of the I-797, Notice of Action that you received for your previously filed Form I-485 (Adjustment of Status), Form I-751 ( Removal of Conditions) or Form I-90.

    • Your card was issued with incorrect data due to USCIS administrative error
      • Select Reason "d" in the application, which reads "My card was issued with incorrect information because of a USCIS administrative error".

      • Any documentation that supports the requested correction

      • Original green card containing incorrect information

  • Correction or Change in Biographic Data.

    Name change: The original court order or certified copy of your marriage certificate reflecting the new name

    Any other: Copies of documentation to prove that the new data is correct

    USCIS administrative error: Include an explanation

  • Your Prior Card or Other Evidence of Identity.

    Renewing Expiring or Expired Card: If your card has already expired or will expire in the next six months, submit a copy of your card.

    Replacing Lost/Damaged Card: A copy of your card, if you have one. If you don't have a copy and are at least 18 years old, you must bring an identity document, such as driver's license, passport or a copy of another document containing your name, date of birth, photograph and signature.
    Also, bring a photo report for a lost/stolen card.

    If you have been automatically converted to permanent resident status, you are considered to be replacing your card. Submit a copy of your temporary status document.

Note: You must submit initial evidence, including your prior permanent resident card or other evidence of identity, and any supporting documentation when you submit the application.

Fee Payment
Application fee: Application fee must be sent with the application.

Biometric fee: All applicants, regardless of age, need to pay biometric services fee for USCIS to take fingerprints.

Some applicants do not need to pay the application fee and/or biometric services fee, as mentioned in the reasons to file above.

Fee details

Filing The Application
Form I-90 can either be filed as a paper application or e-Filing, if eligible.
e-Filing instructions

Application filing instructions

All paper-based Form I-90 applications along with all supporting documentation must be filed at:

P.O. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For USPS Express Mail and Courier deliveries, use the following address:

Attention: I-90
1820 Skyharbor, Circle S Floor 1
Phoenix, AZ 85034

A pending application for a replacement permanent resident card is temporary evidence of registration.

If you application is approved, you will be mailed a replacement Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, with a 10-year expiration date from the date of issuance.

If you are outside the United States, and your permanent resident card will expire within six months, (but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States and before the card expires), you should file for your renewal card as soon as you return to the United States.

If you are outside of the United States at the time of the card's expiration, and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest American Consulate, USCIS office, or Port of Entry, before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal I-551 card.

Fingerprints instructions

If you have reached your 14th birthday since your card was issued, additional fingerprints will be taken. USCIS will notify you in writing of the time and location where you must go for the required biometrics. Failure to appear for the biometrics may result in a denial of your application.

If you need to make any change to any information in your submitted application, please bring evidence to support the change with you to your fingerprint appointment. Do not send written correspondence regarding it to the National Benefits Center.

Bring the following items to your fingerprint appointment:
  • Appointment letter

  • Photo identification. Acceptable kinds of photo identifications are:
    • Passport or national photo identification issued by your country, or

    • Driver's license, or

    • Military photo identification, or

    • State-issued photo identification card.

Temporary Evidence
While USCIS is reviewing your application, if you need temporary evidence of your status for travel or employment purposes, you may request that at the appropriate USCIS office at the time that you are completing the fingerprint and signature requirements.

They will stamp your passport to indicate that the you have filed for a new card. The stamp in the passport will serve as proof of the lawful permanent resident status of the bearer. This stamp will enable the person to travel out of the U.S. and re-enter, since the stamp in the passport indicates that the person has filed for the replacement card as required by law.

Change of Address
While your application is pending, if you need to change your address, follow these instructions.

Withdrawing The Application
To withdraw or cancel your submitted application, send a written request to:

National Benefits Center
705 B SE Melody Lane, Box 2000,
Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Any fees paid while filing the application will NOT be refunded or returned.

If the application is denied, you will get a letter from USCIS explaining why it was denied. While you can't appeal to a higher authority, you may submit a motion to reopen/reconsider their decision with the office that made the unfavorable decision.

A motion to reopen:
It must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence.

A motion to reconsider:
It must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made.