Proof of Name Change for NRI Paperwork – OCI Application, Renunciation Certificate

If you are former citizen of India, and if your name in the U.S. (or foreign) passport is different than the one in your prior Indian passport or Indian government-issued document, a copy of one of the following documents must be submitted:

  • Marriage Certificate showing the name change if the name was changed at marriage.

  • Official court order for the name change, first name or last name or both.

  • Endorsement of name change during the naturalization process. Please note that CKGS sometimes accepts this but there have been reports of they rejecting this as the valid proof and demands official court order.

In case the middle name was changed to an initial, a notarized statement letter is required.

In case of Renunciation certificate, the name as on Indian passport will appear, as it is for the surrender of Indian passport.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400