Advance Parole Filing Documents

Separate application forms, fees, and sets of documents are required for each applicant (including yourself and each of your family members) who needs to travel.

  • The application fee must be sent with the application.
    There is no biometric fee. 

    Fee details 

    If you filed Form I-485 on or after July 30, 2007, and you paid the required fees for the same, you don’t have to pay additional fees for the Advance Parole, irrespective of whether you are concurrently filing I-131 with I-485 or filing it later.

  • Form I-131, Application For Travel Document 

    Sample I131 

  • Photos
    If you are in the U.S., submit 2 identical photographs.

    If you are outside the U.S., don’t submit photographs. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate or DHS office abroad will ask for photographs before issuing the parole document.

    If the person filing the application is in the U.S., but the person for whom the advance parole is being filed for is outside the U.S., submit 2 identical photographs.

  • Copy of an official photo identity document that shows your name, photo, and date of birth. E.g., a government issued valid driver’s license, identity page of passport, permanent resident card, or any other official identity document.

    Form I-94 can’t be used as a photo identity document. 

  • If you are filing Form I-131 based on a pending I-485, include a copy of the I-797C Notice of Action showing that your I-485 was accepted.

  • If you are in the U.S.:
    1. A copy of any USCIS issued document indicating your present status in the U.S.; and

    2. An explanation or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant the issuance of an advance parole document (not required in the next 2 circumstances described below); or

    3. If you have already filed for an adjustment of status (I-485), a copy of I-797 Notice of Action, receipt of filing I-485.

    4. If applicable, a copy of the I-140 receipt notice and copy of the I-140 approval notice. 

    5. If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, a copy of the U.S. consular appointment letter 

    6. Copy of your marriage certificate, if you are applying for advance parole based on a pending green card petition of your spouse.

    7. Copy of the child’s birth certificate if applying for advance parole for a child based on a pending green card petition of the primary applicant.

    8. If you are the surviving spouse of a U.S. citizen who died before the second anniversary of your marriage, or you are the qualified child of a surviving spouse, and you have been granted a deferred action (or included in your parent’s deferred action grant letter), include a copy of the order, notice, or document placing you in deferred action. If you are a qualified child, you must submit a separate application.

  • If you are applying for a person who is outside the U.S.:
    1. A statement of how and by whom medical care, transportation, housing, and other expenses and subsistence needs will be met

    2. Form I-134, an Affidavit of Support, with evidence of the sponsor’s occupation and ability to provide necessary support

    3. A statement explaining why a U.S. visa cannot be obtained, including when and where attempts were made to obtain a visa
    4. A statement explaining why a waiver of inadmissibility cannot be obtained to allow the issuance of a visa, including when and where attempts were made to obtain a waiver, and a copy of any USCIS or former INS decisions on your waiver request

    5. A copy of any decision on an immigrant petition filed for the person and evidence regarding any pending immigrant petition
    6. A complete description of the emergent reasons explaining why advance parole should be authorized, including copies of any evidence you wish to be considered, and indicating the length of time for which the parole is requested.

    7. Two completed fingerprint cards (Form FD-258). Make sure that the completed cards are not bent, folded, or creased. You must indicate your A Number on the fingerprint card. You need to have fingerprint cards prepared by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, USCIS office, or a U.S. Military installation.

  • Cover letter, if you are applying for Advance Parole not along with another application, such as I-485.

If you require an explanation for getting advance parole (from the circumstances described below), even family visits or vacations are considered acceptable reasons to leave the U.S. You can just write your name and A number (if any) at the top of a blank paper and write something like, “I qualify for Advance Parole because I am awaiting my adjustment of status interview. I would like to travel to my native country to visit my parents, whom I haven’t seen in years”.

However, if you are traveling because of an emergency, explaining the crisis may help speed up the application. E.g., in case of a family medical emergency, provide a letter from your family member’s doctor explaining your family member’s condition and the need for your visit. 

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400