Advance Parole Eligibility

You can apply for advance parole if

  • You are in the U.S.
    • You are concurrently filing it with I-485 (adjustment of status) or have already filed I-485

    • You are under a refugee/asylee status and may want to travel abroad for emergent personal or bona fide business reasons, or you are traveling to Canada to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa

    • You have been granted Temporary Protected Status or another immigration status that allows you to return to that status after a brief, casual, and innocent absence from the U.S.

  • You are outside the U.S. and need to visit the U.S. temporarily for emergent humanitarian reasons,
    • You may apply for an advance parole document. However, your application must be based on the fact that you cannot obtain the necessary visa and any required waiver of inadmissibility. Parole under these conditions is granted on a case-by-case basis or temporary entry, according to such conditions as prescribed. 

    • A person in the United States may file this application on your behalf. In doing so, he or she should complete Part 1 of the form with information about themself.

You can’t apply for advance parole:

  • If you are an asylee/refugee who has not filed an adjustment of status application. Instead, you must request a refugee travel document before departing from the United States. 

  • If you held a J-1 nonimmigrant status, whom are subject to a 2-year foreign residency requirement.

  • If you are illegally in the U.S.

  • If you are in deportation, exclusion, removal, or rescission proceedings.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400