R2 Visa Stamping Documents

R-1 visa holder’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for an R2 visa.

You will need the following documents for getting R-2 visa.

Mandatory documents

  • Current passport as well as old old passports 

  • One photograph (Only for dropbox appointment)

  • Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC bar code. 

  • Visa fees
    Fees to be paid in advance before making an appointment.

  • Original Interview appointment letter and one copy.

  • I-129 Petition Receipt Number, printed on approved Form I-129 petition and copy of your Form I-797 approval. Original Form I-797 is not required for the interview. The Consular officer will verify your petition approval through the PIMS (Petition Information Management Service) of the Department of State.

Supporting documents

  • Photocopies of the first page, last page and remarks pages of your current passport

  • Original, approved I-129 petition of the Principal Applicant, and letter from employer that describes the relationship with the Principal Applicant and the purpose of travel. 

  • Photocopy of the Principal Applicant’s valid visa (if applying separately). 

  • Original marriage certificate for spouse along with entire wedding photo album. 

    Additionally, it would be helpful to provide genuine marriage proof

  • Original birth certificate for each child. 

  • Wedding invitation card. 

  • All the pages of the principal applicant’s passport (if not applying with the principal applicant). If a copy of the passport is submitted, it should be a GOOD copy and the photo must be clearly identifiable.

  • Copy of the principal applicant’s work experience letters. 

  • Pay stubs from principal applicant’s current place of work and income tax return. 

  • Evidence of financial support for the entire family. 

  • Copy of the contract between the employer and the Religious Worker in the U.S.

The Consulate will not accept documents received directly from the company by mail or fax. The applicant should bring all documents to the interview. The Consulate will not make this information available to anyone and will destroy the documents after review. 

You don’t really have to change your name after marriage, such as changing last name to have same as husband’s last name (or in South India, removing father’s name as last name and adding husband’s name as last name). If you have changed your name after marriage, you should get it changed in your passport before applying for an R2 visa. Otherwise, the R2 visa will be issued in the name that appears in the passport.

Rights and Restrictions

  • You may study full-time or part-time. There is no requirement to apply for student a (F-1) visa. However, if you are qualified and wish to do so, you may apply for the (F-1) visa

  • You may not accept employment. 

  • You have a derivative status and your visa is dependent upon the nonimmigrant status of the primary applicant. If the primary applicant changes the status, you must change your status. If a primary applicant loses his/her legal status, you will also lose your legal status.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400