J Visa - Exchange Visitor Visa
The Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant visa category allows to foster mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and the people of other countries through educational and cultural exchanges. There are various types of programs that allows to work, study, teach, train, research etc.

J visa program is managed by the U.S. Department of State, along with many designated sponsors in each area. Educational and cultural exchanges assist the U.S. Department of State in furthering the foreign policy objectives of the U.S.

Please follow the procedure below to come to the U.S. on J1 visa:
  1. Please select the type of J1 visa program you would like to enroll in.
    J1 Visa Programs.

  2. Find a designated sponsor and contact them.

    The designated sponsors supervise the application process and are the main point of contact throughout the exchange program process.

  3. Get Form DS-2019 from the designated sponsor.

    Exception: Form DS-2019 for 2011 Pilot Summer Work Travel Program participants will be sent by the program sponsor directly to the U.S. embassy or consulate where you will apply for your visa.

  4. Pay SEVIS Fee.

  5. Attend visa interview.

  6. Get adequate J1 visa health insurance that meets the minimum requirements specified by the U.S. Department of State.

  7. Travel to the U.S.

    Your Form I-94 will be marked for 'Duration of Status' (D/S) that means the completion of the J program plus 30 days. The program sponsor has the responsibility to ensure that the J-1 visa holder maintains a valid status.