Note: Effective Nov 2, 2020, Indian government has given the contract to VFS Global. Previous contract with CGKS has ended. We are updating the instructions as they become available.
For all related VFS Global contact information, visit their official website.
A separate application must be made for each person, even if they are family members. When applying for OCI card in the US, you need to follow the procedure describe below:
- Visit Government of India Online OCI Form website and choose appropriate form:
- New OCI Registration
- OCI Registration (In Lieu of Valid PIO-Card)
- OCI Registration (In Lieu of Lost PIO-Card)
- OCI Miscellaneous Services
You must upload the digital photograph, signature image and several documents on the government website. The exact documents to be uploaded varies by the category applied in and are listed in the specific check list listed on the documents page.
Print the form and paste your photograph on the OCI form and sign where indicated.
- You will get a NEW Web Reference Number from the Government website which will be used to register your application on CKGS website as well track the status of your submitted application. Sample number: USAH01D24N20
- Visit VFS Global website – OCI Application.
You will need to keep the following details handy:
- Your current passport such as number, issue date, expiry date, place of issue
- Web Reference Number from OCI Application form
- Details your current citizenship as well as previous nationality, if any.
- Proof of renunciation of Indian citizenship, if not applying together.
- Choose from the list of categories:
- New OCI Card
- OCI in lieu of PIO Card
- OCI in lieu of Damaged/Lost OCI Card
- Cancel OCI Card
- OCI Card Misc Services
- The next page will provide the following information:
- Document Checklist
- All forms to be downloaded
- OCI Card Fees
- VFS Web Reference Number
- Application Submission:
Submit the application, either by shipping. In person appointments are not available.
- Once you have submitted the application, you can read more about processing and tracking it.
Processing and Tracking
OCI Submission in USA
An application for OCI Card in USA can be submitted to VFS Global by shipping. Submit the documents by mail, to VFS Global, according to your jurisdiction. The procedure is described in detail below:
Shipping your documents to VFS Global is a preferred method as it saves travel times and parking charges, as well as avoids waiting at the Indian Consular Application Centre (ICAC).
You can use the Shipping method for sending the documents as well receiving the passport back.
When you choose the shipping method, please print the label which will be automatically addressed as follows:
- Attn To:
- New OCI Card Application
- ICAC Name
- OCI Department
- ICAC Address
- ICAC Location
- ICAC Zip Code
- Attn To:
Once VFS Global receives your application, you will receive an email acknowledgment with the status ‘Received, but Not Verified’. Once they verify your application, you will receive another email indicating the outcome of the verification process.
- Walk-In (By Appointment):
This method is currently unavailable due to COVID-19.
While making an online application, you will select the ‘Walk-In’ as the submission option and follow the steps below:
- Choose your ‘Appointment Date’.
- Select your time slot
- If the date/time slot is already booked, the next available option will be displayed
- You will get a confirmation of your appointment date and time booked.
- Come in person at the ICAC at the designated appointment date and time to submit your application.
Appointments can be booked through My Account as well. You can also cancel your appointment and reschedule.
The application can be submitted in person either by the applicant or immediate family member of the applicant, with a proper authority letter and proof of relationship.
In case you are applying for a minor child, both parents have to present themselves at the counter. If one of the parents is unable to attend, an authority/consent letter must be given by the parent not attending, authorizing the other parent to apply alone.
If all documents are in order, your original US passport/foreign passport will be returned to you within 2-3 working days after verification.
Once your OCI card is ready, the Indian Embassy/Consulate will send it to VFS Global, where it will be sorted and dispatched within 24 hours.
Processing by VFS Global
Once VFS Global receives your application along with supporting documents, they will submit them to the respective Indian Embassy/Consulate for processing. In the order of their receipts in the consulate, applications are scrutinized to ensure the completeness of all required documents and information for deciding the eligibility of applicant(s) for granting OCI status.
If they find that any of the documents, forms for payments are missing or if there is any deficiency in your application, you will be notified via email for re-submission of the necessary documents.
Until they receive your documents, your application will be ‘On Hold’.
If they don’t receive your documents within 21 days, they will return your documents. In this case, the VFS Global service fee will be non-refundable.
Processing at MHA
After preliminary scrutiny, if there is no adverse information available against the applicant, the Indian Mission/Post shall register a person as OCI within the processing time of the application and the case shall be referred to MHA for post verification of the antecedents of the applicant. If during the post verification, any adverse information comes to the knowledge of the MHA, the registration as OCI already granted by the Indian Mission/Post shall be cancelled by an order under section 7D of the Citizenship Act, 1955. The persons will also be blacklisted, banning their entry into India.
After preliminary scrutiny, if there is any adverse information against the applicant, prior approval of MHA shall be required before granting of registration. MHA may approve or reject the grant registration within 120 days from the date of the receipt of the application. If the grant of registration as OCI is approved by MHA, the Indian Mission/Post shall register the person as an OCI.
If the application is filed in India, registration shall be granted by MHA by following the above procedure.
If the registration as OCI is not granted, an amount of U.S. $250, or equivalent in the local currency, shall be refunded if registration is refused. There is a non-refundable processing fee of U.S. $25.
You can access My Account for a wide variety of services. In order to access My Account, you need Web Reference Number, Passport Number and Date of Birth.
Once you login, you would be able to access the following:
- Track Application Status
- View Applicant details
- View Service details
- Download and Print Documents and Forms
- Download and Print Shipping Label
- Download and Print Payment Receipt
- Make Payment
- Purchase Shipping and other value added services
- Upload missing / additional documents requested
OCI Application Processing and Tracking
- VFS Global is not liable for applications lost in transit.
- VFS Global’s role is solely on processing applications. They have no impact on the outcome of the decision or the processing time, as they are determined by the Embassy/Consulates of India in USA.
- Any false documents or other misrepresentation of information in support of the application will have a direct bearing on the judgement of their application by the Embassy/Consulates of India in USA.
When you schedule an appointment, you will be provided a Reference number generated by VFS Global. Reference number printed on the online application form is NOT valid for tracking with VFS Global.
You can track your application by entering your Tracking ID / VFS Global/Web Reference Number, Passport Number and your date of birth.
You can also use the above link for tracking your courier by providing Airway Bill Number and Passport Number.
- Even if the applicant meets all the laid down requirements for obtaining a particular service, the Consular Officer reserves the right to demand any necessary additional and original documents at any stage of processing. The documents demanded by the Consular Officer should be presented by the applicant for scrutiny and satisfaction of the Consular Officer before the service is rendered.
- The processing timings are indicative and can vary from time to time.
- The processing time does not apply to services where prior approval has to be obtained from authorities in India or elsewhere. For such cases, the processing time is a minimum of thirty (30) business days.
- The Consular Officer can at any time call an applicant for a personal interview.
- Applicants are advised to refrain from making telephonic or written inquiries of the status of their applications during the normal processing time.
- The Consulate will return applications that:
- are incomplete or not correctly completed; and/or
- lack supporting documents; and/or
- have been mailed with an inadequate fee; and/or
- have other deficiencies
When the Consulate returns such applications, they would utilize the return postage/envelope supplied with the application that was originally meant to send back the completed application/documents.
The government of India is not responsible for any inconvenience or problems faced due to any rejections or delays.
- are incomplete or not correctly completed; and/or
OCI Application in India
If the applicant is in India, they can apply to the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata or Amritsar. They can also apply to the Chief Immigration Officer (CHIO) in Chennai, or to the Under Secretary, OCI Cell, Citizenship Section, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) at their respective addresses or at
Under Secretary (Foreigners Division)
Ministry of Home Affairs,
Jaisalmer House, 26 Man Singh Road,
New Delhi-110 011
OCI Application in Other Countries
The completed application, along with all enclosures, should be submitted to the Indian Mission/Post of the country of applicant’s citizenship. Or if the applicant is not in the country of their citizenship, the completed application (with all enclosures) should be submitted to the Indian Mission/Post of the country in which they are ordinarily a resident.
Application must be submitted by express mail to the “OCI Cell” of appropriate Embassy/Consulate. It is not possible at this time to go in person or complete all the forms online.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?