Rescind ITIN Number After Getting Social Security Number (SSN)
Individuals who are not eligible to receive a  Social Security Number (SSN) instead get an  Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN).

An alien individual can't have both an ITIN and a SSN. Therefore, once you receive your SSN (e.g., after getting an EAD), you will have to rescind your ITIN.

After you receive your new SSN, you will have to send a letter to the IRS ITIN Unit requesting a rescind of your ITIN. The SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.

Send a letter to:
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0057

Enclose the copies of your ITIN and SSN.

Additional Steps
  • Inform all 3 credit bureaus to import the credit history associated with your ITIN to your SSN.
    Credit bureau web sites: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion.

  • Inform your bank and all other financial institutions regarding the change from ITIN to SSN.