Where to Find Alien Registration Number (or “A-Number”)?

“A-Number” is shorthand for Alien Registration Number, which is primarily assigned to beneficiaries that either intend to get permanent residence in the U.S. or get a work permit through another means.

The A-Number is a seven- to nine-digit number that is prefixed with the letter “A” and is found on various documents issued either by USCIS or by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

Even though the exact name may vary across various documents, but they all mean the same thing as the A-Number.


The Green Card has the USCIS Number (USCIS#). This is the same as the A-Number.

Immigrant Visa

When the U.S. Embassy/Consulate issues you an immigrant visa, it will be provided in the form of a stamp in your passport. It has a field called “Registration Number”. This is the same as your A-Number.


The EAD (Employment Authorization Card) has your USCIS number (USCIS#). This is the same as the A-Number.

A USCIS# is issued for all types of EADs, including EADs for OPT, CPT, or H-4 or L-2 visas.

I-140 Approval Notice

A-Number will be listed under the “BENEFICIARY” column, where both the A-Number and your name will be listed.

As an I-140 is only for the primary applicant (who may be on an H-1B visa), even in this case, the dependents on H-4 visas will not have an A-Number.

Most employers share I-140 approval notices with the beneficiaries. However, in case your employer is unwilling to share that with you, you can file a FOIA Request to get that information.

H1-B Receipt Notice

Normally, the A-Number is not listed on an H-1B receipt notice or approval notice. However, if your employer files H-1B visa for you (typically H-1B extension) after your I-140 is already approved, the receipt notice will have the A-Number.

It will be listed under the “BENFICIARY” column, where it will have both your A-Number as well as your name.

In such a case, the H-4 visa receipt notice will still not have an A-Number.

Ineligible Categories

  • Most H or L visa approval notices do not have the A-Number.
  • PERM ETA number is not the same as the A-Number.


Once you are issued an A-Number, you will be required to include it on any immigration form wherever it asks for the A-Number.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400