A Journalist Visa is available for all foreign journalists, irrespective of whether traveling for journalism, tourism or other purposes. J visa may be granted to a professional journalist, columnist, cartoonist/editor, photographer, film producer or director other than of commercial films), a representative of a radio and/or television organization, travel writer/travel promotion photographer, etc or any professional journalist/owner working for an association or a company engaged in the production or broadcast of audiovisual news or current affairs programs through the print, electronic or any other electronic form or any other mode of mass communication.
A ‘JOURNALIST VISA’ will be granted to:
- Media Person
- News Broadcaster
- TV Producer
- Columnist, cartoonist/editor
- Film producer or director (other than commercial films)
- A representative of a radio or television organization
- Travel writer
- Travel promotion photographer
- Any professional journalist/owner working for an association or a company engaged in the production or broadcast of audiovisual news or current affairs programs through the print, electronic, or any other electronic form or any other mode of mass communication.
One will be issued a ‘J’ Visa – with an endorsement – FOR TOURISM ONLY, NOT VALID FOR PROFESSIONAL WORK/REPORTING when a Journalist visits India for Tourism purpose.
Spouse and Dependent Family Members
Spouse and dependent family members must apply for a Journalist visa, not a tourist visa or entry visa. Their visa validity duration will coincide with that of the principal visa holder.
Duration and Validity
Journalist visa is generally issues for 3 months, single entry.
Visa duration starts on the day of issuance, and not on the day of entry into India.
You should apply for visa at least 15 days in advance of intended travel date.
Documentary film / Ad films making in India
Before applying for visa, you need to obtain approval/clearance of the Government of India for filming a documentary in India. Please send an email according to your
Consular Jurisdiction to:
- Washington DC: [email protected]
- New York: [email protected]
- San Francisco: [email protected]
- Atlanta: [email protected]eatlanta.org
- Houston: [email protected]
- Chicago: [email protected]
Those that want to study journalism in India should apply for Student Visa instead.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?