India Entry Visa

An Entry visa is granted to the following types of applicants:

  • A person of Indian Origin, defined as a person who has held Indian nationality or is a child or grandchild of a person who has held Indian nationality.

    In fact, persons of Indian Origin must apply for an Entry Visa instead of a Tourist Visa.

  • A spouse or child of a person of Indian Origin.

However, if you a person of Indian origin, surrendered your Indian passport, and if your spouse is of Pakistan origin, neither your spouse nor your children are eligible for an ‘Entry Visa’.

Duration & Validity
You can receive extensions on an annual basis for a maximum period of 5 years. You need to apply with the FRRO in India.

Additional Documents
In addition to the regular set of documents required to get an India Visa, the following additional documents are required for an Entry Visa.

  • Non Indian Spouses and Children or Grandchildren of Persons of Indian Origin:
    These applicants must produce proof of relationship with the Person of Indian Origin:
    • The Non-Indian spouse must show a marriage certificate and a copy of spouse’s Indian passport, or naturalization certificate that shows previous nationality is Indian.

    • Non-Indian children must provide a birth certificate along with a copy of parents Indian passport(s), or naturalization certificate that shows previous nationality is Indian.

    • Non-Indian grandchildren must provide a copy of the grandparent’s passport or a government-issued document showing that their grandparents held Indian citizenship, and their parent’s birth certificate. This will show the Non-Indian grandchild’s relationship to the person who has held Indian Nationality.


How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400