Rescind ITIN Number After Getting Social Security Number (SSN)

Rescind ITIN Number After Getting Social Security Number (SSN)

Individuals who are not eligible to receive a Social Security Number (SSN) instead get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). 

An alien individual can’t have both an ITIN and a SSN. Therefore, once you receive your SSN (e.g., after getting an EAD), you will have to rescind your ITIN.

After you receive your new SSN, you will have to send a letter to the IRS ITIN Unit requesting a rescindment of your ITIN. The SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.

Send a letter to:

Internal Revenue Service 
Austin, TX 73301-0057 

Enclose the copies of your ITIN and SSN.

Additional Steps

  • Inform all 3 credit bureaus to import the credit history associated with your ITIN to your SSN. 
    Credit bureau websites: EquifaxExperianTransUnion

  • Inform your bank and all other financial institutions regarding the change from ITIN to SSN. 

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400