Standardized Tests for Studying in the USA

Standardized Tests for Studying in the USA

Many of the tests required and used by colleges to admit students in the USA are administered by an organization called ETS (Educational Testing Services). Some of them are conducted by separate boards. GMAT is conducted by GMAC, and the SAT is conducted by College Board.

The requirements for the tests and their formats are available on their respective websites. Each school has different score requirements which can best be obtained from the web pages of the schools that you are choosing to apply to.

Also, note that many schools only accept official score reports sent directly from the test provider and do not accept copies of the score reports sent to you by the providers. This would cost additional money to request a score report to be sent to your school. Make sure you properly utilize and select the right schools for the 4 free score reports that come with your exam fees paid for each of these tests. You may have to fill in the university names and codes that the score report needs to be sent to at the time of registration, at the exam, or after the exam depending on the test you are taking.

TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language 

IELTS: The International English Language Testing System

SAT: Scholastic Aptitude Test

ACT: American College Test

GRE: Graduate Record Exam 

GMAT: Graduate Management Aptitude Test 

LSAT: Law School Admission Test

MCAT: Medical College Admission Test

DAT: Dental Admission Test

PCAT: Pharmacy College Admission Test

OAT: Optometry Admission Test

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400