F1 (Student) Visa Stamping Documents

F1 (Student) Visa Stamping Documents

You will need the following documents for getting an F-1 visa stamping.

Mandatory Documents

  • Current passport as well as all old passports

  • One photograph (Only for a dropbox appointment)

  • Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC bar code. 

  • Visa fees
    Fees to be paid in advance before taking an appointment. 

  • Original interview appointment letter and one copy.

  • Both pages of the bar-coded, original SEVIS generated Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status) obtained from a U.S. college, school, or university and signed by you and a school official.

    All students, as well as their spouse and dependent children (everyone that is applying for a U.S. visa), must be registered in SEVIS. Your school is responsible for entering your information for the Form I-20 into SEVIS.

    In addition to the original, one copy of Form I-20 is required.

    Your I-20 does not need to be sealed in an envelope. However, you have to make sure that you carry the I-20 when you travel, as you have to show it to the immigration officer at the port of entry in order to be admitted into the U.S.

    When you get the visa, there will be nothing stamped on your I-20. When you enter the U.S., the immigration officer at the port of entry will stamp the I-20 in the allotted space.

  • Original proof of payment with the SEVIS Fee Receipt I-901 and one copy, if applicable.

Supporting Documents

  • Photocopies of the first page, last page, and remarks pages of your current passport

  • Evidence of Financial Resources:
    • Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses as well as proof of readily available funds to cover the remaining year(s) of studies. 

      Any financial documentation you provide should be in support of this. This applies to ALL student visa applicants. 

      To establish your financial resources, you should bring to the consulate:
      • Original tax returns for the past 3 years.
      • Original bank records (bank statements, pass book, or bank book) for the past 3 years and/or a fixed deposit statement of your parent or sponsor. (Although anyone may sponsor your education, the Consular Officer will be more convinced if your parents or close family members finance your studies)
      • Pay slips, employment letters
      • Chartered accountant statements
      • If you receive a scholarship, it is noted on the I-20 and favorably considered by the Officer.
        The U.S. Consulate discourages applicants from bringing property deeds or certified copies of financial documents. Only bring financial documents that can support your (or your sponsor’s claim) that your studies in the U.S. will be fully funded. 

        There are no specific documents that prove a student is able to pay for his/her education. These are only suggested documents. A visa is not assured if you have any or all of these documents. 

    • Proof of ability to afford schooling in the United States. 
      Part 7 on the I-20 shows the amount of funding you must have available to cover the first year’s expenses. The total amount includes tuition and fees, living expenses, expenses of dependents (if applicable), and other expenses (as applicable). You must prove that you have immediate funds available to cover this amount. If you are going to a two-year master’s program, then you must also show that funds are or will likely be available to cover the same amount for the second year. For example, if you are a prospective master’s student for a two-year program, and the total amount in Part 7 of the I-20 includes $5,000 for tuition and fees, $5,000 for living expenses, and $500 for other expenses (books, supplies, etc.), then you must prove that $10,500 is immediately available to you. Additionally, you must show that another $10,500 is or will likely be available to cover the second year.

    • Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support), if you are financially supported by an individual in the U.S., along with three years of that individual’s bank statements and tax returns. 

    • If you have taken a loan from a bank to cover your tuition, please bring official documents, which verify the loan approval and not just the application. If the banks in your country ordinarily give educational loans of relatively modest amounts, the applicant must still demonstrate additional liquid assets.

    • Paying the tuition expenses in advance is a good way to show proof of funds, but it is NOT a requirement to pay in advance. 

  • Education Documents:
    • Original degree certificates along with mark sheets / transcripts.

      You may still apply if you have not yet received your degree certificate. However, make sure to include your mark sheets and provisional certificate if available. 

    • Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets / transcripts from previous institutions attended.

    • Relevant test scores, e.g., TOEFL and SAT, GRE, GMAT, or LSAT.

      If your university does not require that you take certain tests, such as TOEFL or GRE, you should get a letter from the university stating the same. However, the embassy strongly recommends that all student visa applicants provide standardized test scores.

U.S. Public School

According to the U.S. law, foreign students are not allowed to get an F-1 visa to attend public elementary or middle school (kindergarten to 8th grade) or a publicly funded adult education program. However, an F-1 visa can be issued to attend a public high school (grades 9 to 12), up to a maximum of one year. In order to apply for an F-1 visa on that basis, the school must indicate on the Form I-20 that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education and the amount submitted by the student for that purpose.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400