American Citizen Services at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate

U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide can help U.S. citizens with a wide variety of services. They fall into two major categories, emergency and non-emergency (routine or regular). There are many services that many U.S. citizens request but that the U.S. Embassy/Consulate unfortunately cannot provide. Please note that when you are in a foreign country, you must follow that country’s laws.

Emergency Services

  • Visiting U.S. citizens in jail following an arrest
  • Missing persons / Welfare
  • Assisting victims of violent crime
  • Assisting families and friends after the death of a U.S. citizen
  • Medical emergencies
  • Loss or theft of passport
  • Denial of freedom to travel
  • Financial emergencies
  • Assisting U.S. children and families involved in an abduction
  • Destitution

Any similar situations of an emergency nature.

Non-Emergency Services

  • Consular report of birth to U.S. citizen abroad
  • Federal benefits
  • Routine passport matters, such as renewal
  • Add visa pages
  • Help register to vote in U.S. elections
  • Provide information on safety and security in a foreign country
  • Provide routine notary services
  • Check on the welfare of U.S. citizens
  • Assist U.S. children and families involved in custody, support, and other cases
  • Provide assistance to recipients of Social Security and other U.S. federal benefits

Services Not Available

  • Providing physical protection to you or your family
  • Searching for missing baggage
  • Discussing visa cases (This may be available in some embassies or consulates.)
  • Settling disputes with hotel managers or landlords
  • Finding employment, residence, or schools for you or your family
  • Paying your debts or fines
  • Sorting out property disputes
  • Interfering in judicial proceedings
  • Arranging release from U.S. military service obligations
  • Demanding that an American be released from jail
  • Performing marriage ceremonies
  • Offering legal advice
  • Offering translation services
  • Providing postal services

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400