India Visa – Category Specific Documents

In addition to the common documents required for getting India visa, you will need the following category-specific documents:

  • Business Visa

  • Conference Visa:
    • Invitation letter:
      Letters of invitation from the organizer of the conference in India, as well as the organization in the USA that nominated the applicant to attend the conference.

      You must produce an invitation to a conference or seminar or workshop being organized in India by a Ministry or Department of the Government of India, State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings, Central Educational Institutions, Public Funded University or an organization owned and controlled by the Government of India or State Government, UN or its specialized agencies and reputed NGOs.

      In the case that conference or seminar or workshop is being organized in India by private companies, a 3-month single entry business visa may be issued instead of a conference visa.

    • Additional information form:
      Applicants from Afghanistan, China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, foreigners of Pakistani origin, and Stateless persons should fill out the Additional information form. Such applicants and those visiting restricted/protected areas can expect approval to take several weeks.

    • Conference Organized by an NGO
      Please provide the following additional documents:
      1. Approval from Nodal / Line Ministry of the Central Government
      2. Approval from Nodal / Line Ministry of the State Government
      3. Invitation for Conference from the organizer.

    • When the conference/seminar/workshop is organized by the Indian government, no clearance certificate is required.

  • Employment Visa

  • Entry Visa

  • Journalist Visa:
    • Journalists affiliated with a media company going to India for journalism purposes or for tourism purposes are required to submit a letter from their company stating whether or not the applicant will be going for journalism or tourism only.

      If traveling for tourism only, undertaking form must be submitted with visa application, declaring the applicant is only visiting for tourism or business and will not engage in any journalistic activities.

  • Pilots and Crew members:
    Pilots and crew members traveling for tourism can apply for a tourist visa. They will need to provide a letter from their employer that explains that they are traveling for tourism on their own and not for business purposes.

  • Medical Visa:
    • Medical certificate:
      A certificate of preliminary medical advice from the country of origin/country of residence that shows the applicant has been advised to go for specialized medical treatment.

      In cases where the applicant desires to go for treatment under the Indian system Medicine, the case may also be considered.

  • Medical Attendant Visa:
    • Passport copy of Medical visa applicant:
      A copy of the passport of the person who is applying for a Medical Visa. Additionally, a copy of the Medical Visa if it has already been issued.

    • Proof of relationship:
      A certificate issued by the government, such as birth or marriage certificate, showing the relationship between the applicant and the person granted a medical visa.

    • Medical reports:
      The medical reports on the basis of which the medical visa was granted.

      If there have been any updates on the medical condition, please enclose those documents too.

  • Missionary Visa:
    • Sponsor letter:
      Three copies of the letter from the sponsoring organization indicating intended destination in India, expected length of stay, and nature of work to be discharged should be attached along with a guarantee for applicant’s maintenance while in India.

  • Re-Entry Permission:
    Those who have a valid tourist visa and need a permit to re-enter India within 2 months of the last exit should fill the re-entry permission form. A vast majority of people don’t need this permission. Only a few classes of people need such permission. This form will automatically get generated as part of the application process. After printing, answer the questions not covered by the online application form, and then sign.

    Blank Form

    For those applying in Chicago should use a different form instead.

  • Research Visa:
    • Information about the subject of their research project, details of places to be visited, previous visits, whether the scholar has secured admission into a recognized or reputed institution, and evidence of financial resources.

    • Proforma:
      A Proforma (seven sets) should be filled and submitted along with the visa application.

    • Admission Letter:
      Original letter of admission is required at the time of submission of application. Emails or photocopies of admission letters will not be accepted.

    • Foreign professors/Scholars:
      The applicant should have an invitation from a central education institution or publicly funded State University.

    • Foreign participants attending conferences or Seminars or Workshops:
      The applicant will have to produce an invitation to a conference or seminar or workshop being organized in India by any Ministry/Department of the Government of India, State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings, Central Education Institutions, Public-funded Universities or an organization owned and controlled by the Government of India or State Governments, United Nations or its Specialized Agencies and NGO. The decision of granting visas in this category rests with the Mission.

  • Student Visa:
    • Admission letter:
      A letter confirming admission from a recognized institution along with evidence of financial arrangements for a stay in India.

    • Medical or paramedical courses:
      In cases of admission in medical or paramedical courses in India, a letter of approval or a no-objection certificate from the Ministry of Health, Government of India, is required.

    • If the program in India is affiliated with a U.S. institution, a letter from the U.S. institution with complete detail of the exchange program, and whether credit will be earned.

    • Engineering or Technical graduate courses:
      For admission to graduate (bachelor’s) or post-graduate (master’s) courses in engineering/technical institutions in India, a letter of approval or a no-objection certificate from the Ministry of Human Resources Development (Department of Education) is required.

  • Transfer of Visa:
    Old Passport: The old passport with the Indian visa. Must be the original passport, not a copy.

  • Transit Visa:
    • Airline Ticket: Confirmed airline ticket for onward journey.

    • Valid Visa: Valid visa for the final destination.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400