Millions of visitors come to the United States every year on a tourist visa. Many of them have medical needs. The following tips would help deal with them better while visiting the USA.
- If you wear spectacles (prescription glasses), you should note down the specification of your lenses in case you need to replace them in the U.S. You should also carry a couple of extra pairs of spectacles with you as they are very expensive in the U.S. If you wear contact lenses instead, you should carry at least one extra pair with you. You should also carry necessary eye drops, ointments, lens cleaner solutions, etc. with you.
- If you are regularly taking medicines, you should get the full stock of medicines, enough for the entire duration of your stay in the U.S. You can get basic medicines without a prescription (over the counter in pharmacies) for common problems such as a cough, cold, headache, mild fever etc. If you require a prescription for the medicine, the pharmacy will not give it to you unless you have a prescription from a U.S. doctor. A prescription from a foreign doctor is not acceptable at the pharmacy. Please note that if you are carrying any medicines that contain narcotic drugs or are addictive, you should get a doctor’s certificate saying that it is medically necessary or else you may run into serious problems at customs.
- It is best to get a thorough check-up of your body before traveling to the U.S., to avoid any surprise while on your visit. You can also ask the doctor about traveling precautions and make a list of all the medicines and their compositions, as you will not find the same brand of medicines in the USA.
Visitors InsuranceGet Quotes
For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.Visit insubuy.com or call 1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400
Pre Existing ConditionsRead Article
- If you have problems while traveling such as nausea, dizziness, vomiting, ear pain, etc, you should consult your doctor before traveling and get the appropriate medicine to take care of it.
- During take-off and landing, the cabin pressure changes which may cause ear blocking and ear pain. This may be relieved by chewing gum, or by opening your mouth widely as if you were yawning. Carry candies to chew and some cotton balls to stuff your ears, as they are not provided in most of the international flights.
- If you are diabetic or a gastric patient, you may request fruits in the airplane while traveling.
- If you are already having a cold, it will get worse while traveling. It is advisable to carry some nasal drops or other cold medicines. You should always consult your doctor first regarding this.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?