This web page describes general FAQ related to USA non-immigrant visa. More specific FAQ for each type of visa are described in relevant sections for each visa type.

Visa Application
Q: How long in advance should I apply for the U.S. visa?
A: Even though most U.S. visa applications are processed in 2-3 business days, in case additional processing is required, it may around up to 12 weeks. Moreover, it is difficult to get the appointments as well. Therefore, you should plan to apply for your U.S. visa as soon as possible or around 3 months in advance.

Q: Should I carry the original documents to the interview or the photocopies?
A: That really depends upon the specific visa type. Look into each visa section to see what documents are required, and whether original or photocopy.

Q: What address do I mention on form DS-160, if my current home address and my address on the passport is not the same?
A: You must mention your current home address in your home country and not the address noted in your passport. It is required in order for the current home address to differ from the address noted in your passport.

Post Visa Issuance
Q: I already have a valid visa, do I need to go to the Consulate to give my fingerprints?
A: No, if you already hold a valid visa, you need not come to the Consulate for Fingerprinting, you may travel as long as your visa is valid. You will be electronically fingerprinted at a Port of Entry on arrival in the U.S.

Q: I have a valid U.S. visa in my old passport which has expired. Can I get the visa transferred to my new passport?
A: No. If you are holding a valid U.S. non-immigrant visa in an expired Indian passport, you may carry both your expired and new Indian passport together and travel between India and the United States until the non-immigrant visa expires. You do not need to obtain a new non-immigrant visa.

If you do not wish to carry your old passport along with the current passport, you will have to apply for a visa to be affixed in the new passport through the Interview process. All fees are payable for getting the new visa issued.

Q: I currently have a valid U.S. visa. However, it is in my maiden name, and on my old passport. I have a new passport in my married name. How can I transfer the visa into new passport in my married name?
A: It can't be done. When you can travel to the U.S., make sure to carry both the passports and your original marriage certificate.

Alternatively, you can apply for a new visa all over again in new passport. You will have to go through the entire process again including the personal interview and all fees.

Q: I had a valid U.S. visa in my passport. However, my passport was lost (or stolen)? What should I do?
A: You need to follow the steps below:
  • File a complaint with the nearest police station that has jurisdiction for the place where the passport was lost or stolen, and obtain a Police First Incident Report (FIR).

  • Immediately contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa. Please provide your passport number, name and contact details.

  • To prevent visa fraud, send an email to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and provide your passport number, name and contact details.

    In India, send an email to:

    New Delhi:

  • Apply for new passport. If you are in the U.S., apply with the embassy or consulate of your country. If you are in your home country, apply with the local passport authority there. That is the same office where you originally got your passport from.

  • Apply for a new visa all over again. At the interview appointment, bring along the FIR and photocopies of your lost passport and visa, if possible.

Tip: Make photocopies of your passport and valid U.S. visa and keep in a safe place, separate from your original passport. They are valuable documents.

Q: A valid U.S. visa has been damaged in my passport. What should I do?
A: Bring your visa to the Visa Section of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A consular officer will assess the damage and decide the appropriate action required, if any.

Q: I received a U.S. visa and I received my passport back. However, I found that there is an error in the visa (name is misspelled, date of birth is wrong etc.) How do I fix it?
A: The U.S. consulate strictly follows the information given in the passport for visa issuance purposes.

If you think any of the information on your U.S. visa is printed incorrectly, you need to submit your passport to the consular section of the U.S. Embassy or the Consulate where you interview took place to get it corrected. It is really at the discretion of the U.S. Embassy/Consulate to correct it. If approved, the correction will be made and a new visa will be stamped. If it is the fault of the U.S. consulate, there is no charge for fixing typographical mistakes. However, if your name in the passport does not match with the one in application, or if you would like a different name than in the passport, you may want to get your name changed in the passport first.

Alternatively, you can use the services of Stanley. Submit the following documents to the nearest service center or the US Embassy/Consulate:
  • Original passport

  • A cover letter explaining the correction requested.

  • Service charge, as applicable.

Your passport will then be returned back to you by courier.

Visa Refusal
Q: My visa application was rejected. Can I use the same DS-160 form or do I have to fill it again?
A: You will have to fill the new DS-160 form.

Renewal or Restamping
Q: What should the applicant do to renew a Visa?
A: There is no provision in the U.S. Law, under which an U.S. visa can be renewed. The applicant should apply for a fresh visa.

More details

Q: My previous U.S. visa was cancelled. Can I re-apply?
A: You can re-apply through the interview process.

Q: I have overstayed in the U.S. during my last visit and I am reapplying. What documents should I present to interview for a new visa?
A: It is illegal to overstay in the U.S. unless you have obtained lawful permission from the USCIS. This is reflected on Form I-797 (Notice of Action), determining that you were granted permission to remain legally in the U.S. for an extended period on your non-immigrant visa. You must present a Form I-797 Extension of Status Approval Notice during your subsequent visa interview.

Q: During my last visit to the U.S., I overstayed my authorized duration. I would like to apply for a new visa now. What kind of documents must I present at my visa interview?
A: It is illegal to overstay in the U.S.

If you applied for an extension of stay and received the same from the USCIS, you need to present this I-797 Form (Extension of Status Approval Notice, Notice of Action) at your visa interview.

Q: What should the applicant do if the visa is valid but the passport has expired?
A: If the visa is still valid in the old passport, then there is no need for the applicant to apply for a fresh visa. Carry both the passports (the old as well as the new passport), and the applicant can travel to the U.S. using this valid visa.

Green Card Surrender
Q: I am green card holder and I would like to surrender my green card as I would like to abandon the permanent residency of the U.S. How should I proceed?
A: You need to go to the U.S. Embassy or the Consulate along with your green card, passport, re-entry permit (if applicable) and a complete Form I-407, Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status. A consular officer will interview you and accept your application.

Q: Can I apply for a nonimmigrant visa and abandon my green card at the same time?
A: Yes, you can. Just come to interview appointment as normal bring with you your green card, passport, re-entry permit (if applicable) and a complete Form I-407, Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status. Tell the consular officer that you would like to abandon your green card before the nonimmigrant visa interview begins.

Q: How do I report visa fraud?
A: If you have any information about individuals obtaining visas by fraud, send an email to U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be as specific as possible, and if you can, please include the person's name, date of birth, passport number, and any other information you may have. All information will be kept confidential. Provide your name contact details in all communications.

In India, send an email to:

New Delhi:

Related Links