Employment Visa in Schengen Countries

Employment Visa in Schengen Countries

Anyone that wants to get gainful employment in the Schengen countries must get a National (D) visa for employment.  Using that, you can work in the Schengen area.

Europe Employment Visa

Schengen visa for employment does not exist. Each country in the Schengen area has different rules, regulations, and criteria. The economic situation and shortage of skilled works vary in different countries.

Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens, may apply for their residence and work permit after entering the Schengen territory without a visa.

Citizens of other countries must apply and get an employment visa before entering the Schengen territories for work purposes. This option is also available to the citizens of the countries who could otherwise enter without a visa first.

Most Europe work visas are valid for one year. You can, in many cases, apply for an extension. The application process for extension is very similar to the initial process.

You should apply for Schengen employment visa around two months in advance of your intended start date. The processing time may usually be around 6 weeks but can also be as long as 12 weeks in some circumstances.

Europe Work Visa Requirements

  • Application form. Two signed copies.

  • Two recently taken photographs

  • Passport

  • Passport must not be older than 10 years, has at least two blank pages, and is valid for at least three months beyond your intended stay.

  • Schengen Visa Travel Insurance

  • Use the “Visa Letter” or “Confirmation of Coverage Letter”.

  • Proof of accommodation

  • Round-trip reservation or flight itinerary

  • Application Fee

  • Employment contract or offer of employment from an employer in a Schengen country.

  • Proof of academic qualifications, such as degree certificates, mark sheets, transcripts, diplomas, etc.

  • Language proficiency

  • As opposed to visiting as a tourist, you will be working in a Schengen country for some time. Therefore, the consular officer would expect that you have a working knowledge of the official language of the country you will be working in.

EU Work Visa Process

You have to submit the application in person, except in rare circumstances. After you submit all the required documents, they will be forwarded to the Alien’s Office that has the jurisdiction for your intended place of residence. It takes between 1 and 3 months to process the application. Once the Alien’s Office approves the application, the consulate will issue a residence permit in the form of a visa, which will include the authorization to work. No extra work permit needs to be obtained.

Scientists holding a scholarship by a German scientific organization may be granted a visa within a few days by the embassy/consulate.


Q: I am an IT professional, and I believe that there is a shortage of IT professionals in Germany. How do I find an employer and apply for residence and a work permit?
A: The Federal Employment Agency has set up an online job fair where you can introduce yourself and present your curriculum vitae. Companies also post job openings in this online fair. You may also contact [email protected]. Of course, you may also apply directly to a company in Germany.

As soon as you have a written formal notice that a work permit will be issued, you can apply for an entrance visa at the German Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction for your place of residence.

Q: I will be working the German office of my U.S. employer for a few years. Is it possible for my wife and children to accompany me?
A: Yes, it is generally possible for your wife and children to accompany you if you are going to Germany on a residence and work permit basis. You must present your marriage certificate for your wife’s residence permit and your children’s birth certificates for the children’s residence permit.

Q: I am a legal resident alien in the U.S., and I don’t have a job offer from a German employer. However, I would like to work in Germany for a few years. Is it possible for me to get the residence and work permit?
A: No. You need to first find an employer in Germany who is willing to make you a job offer. You can apply for a residence and work permit only after you get a job offer.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400