Schengen Area Port of Entry Documents

Schengen Area Port of Entry Documents

When you enter the Schengen area, you must carry at least the following documents with you:

  • Passport
  • Each person needs a passport, including a minor child. The passport must not have been issued over 10 years ago, and it must be valid for at least three months beyond the intended stay in the Schengen area.
  • Schengen Visa
  • Unless you are exempt from getting a Schengen visa, you must have a valid Schengen visa.
  • Reason to Travel
  • You should be able to explain the reason for your travel to the Schengen area, and be prepared to show the documentation for the same.
  • Means of Subsistence
  • You must be able to show that you have enough money for the entire the duration of your stay in the Schengen area. It is called means of subsistence.
  • Travel Medical Insurance
  • Healthcare costs are very high in the Schengen countries. Even if you may be young and healthy, you may get into unexpected medical conditions, injuries, or accidents that may occur while you are in the Schengen area.

    Therefore, you should consider purchasing adequate travel medical insurance for your entire stay.

    In fact, exactly for this reason, those that need the Schengen visa are explicitly required to purchase Schengen visa insurance.  After getting the visa, you must not cancel that insurance. Otherwise, you may have trouble entering the Schengen area.
  • Supporting Documents
  • It is also a good idea to carry the supporting documents (the same ones that you used for getting the Schengen visa), such as letter of invitation, affidavit of support, proof of prepaid travel arrangements, etc.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400