A uniform visa application form is used by all the Schengen countries.
Completing the Form
- Only the latest form will be accepted.
- Any person can fill the form either in legible handwriting or by typing it, but it must be signed by the applicant. As the form is fillable online, the best way is to fill the form online, print it, and sign it.
- Please do not leave any columns blank. Write “N/A” if a particular field is not applicable.
- In case of minor applicant, both parents have to provide written consent and sign the application form.
- If writing by hand, complete the form in black ink.
- In some cases, you are required to print the form twice. You must sign both the completed copies.
- A separate application form must be completed by each applicant.
- Use ROMAN CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not write anything in the area marked “FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY”.
- Fields marked with * should not be filled in by family members of EU, EEA, or CH citizenship. Family members of EU, EEA, or CH citizens must present documents that prove the nature of their relationship.
- When writing the phone number, make sure to include the country code. E.g., +91-9812345678
- Check the boxes with an “X” and not with a tick mark (✓).
- Do not lie. Provide only truthful and honest answers.
- Before submitting the form, make a copy of the form. At the time of interview, it would be helpful to remember what details you provided.
Details in the Application Form
While completing a Schengen visa application, you generally have to provide the following information:
- Personal information
- Background information
- Purpose of trip to the Schengen area
- Your trip details
How to Fill a Schengen Visa Application Form
It is very important to complete the form accurately, and the following tips would help you do that.
- Surname (Family Name) Please write your surname, also called last name, exactly as on your passport.
- Surname at Birth (Former Family Name(s)) If your surname is different now than at birth, mention it here.
- First Name(s) (Given Name(s)) Write your first name exactly as on your passport.
- Date of Birth (Day-Month-Year) Write your birth date exactly as on your passport. E.g., 13-Dec-1978.
- Place of Birth Write it exactly as on your passport.
- Country of Birth The country in which you were born. Please write that even if it is not mentioned in your passport.
- Current Nationality Nationality at birth.
- Sex Self-explanatory. Make sure to check only one box.
- Marital Status Self-explanatory.
- In the Case of Minors: Surname, First Name, Address (If Different from Applicant’s), and Nationality of Parental Authority/Legal Guardian Self-explanatory.
- National Identification Number, Where Applicable E.g., Aadhar card number for residents of India. Social security number for residents of the U.S.
- Type of Travel Document Most people would check “Ordinary passport”.
- Number of Travel Document Passport number, as indicated on the passport.
- Date of Issuance The date when your passport was issued.
- Valid Until The expiration date of your passport.
- Issued By The government authority that issued the passport.
- Applicant’s Home Address, E-mail Address, and Telephone Number(s) Self-explanatory.
- Residence in a Country Other than the Country of Current Nationality Many people live in another country outside their country of citizenship.
- Current Occupation Self-explanatory.
- Employer and Employer’s Address and Telephone Number. For Students, the Name and Address of Educational Establishment. Self-explanatory.
- Main Purpose(s) of the Journey: Self-explanatory.
- Member State(s) of Destination Write the names of each country in the Schengen area you plan to visit.
- Member State of First Entry The Schengen country from where you will be entering the Schengen area.
- Number of Entries Requested Self-explanatory.
- Duration of the Intended Stay or Transit Self-explanatory.
- Schengen Visa Issued During the Past Three Years Self-explanatory.
- Fingerprints Collected Previously for the Purpose of Applying for a Schengen Visa Self-explanatory.
- Entry Permit for the Final Country of Destination, Where Applicable If the Schengen area is not your final destination, write the visa details of your final destination.
- Intended Date of Arrival in the Schengen Area Self-explanatory.
- Intended Date of Departure from the Schengen Area Self-explanatory.
- Surname and First Name of the Inviting Person(s) in the Member State(s). If Not Applicable, Name of Hotel(s) or Temporary Accommodation(s) in the Member State(s) If you checked “Visiting family or friends” in #21, write their names.
- Name and Address of Inviting Company/Organization This would normally be applicable if the purpose of your trip is “Business”, “Cultural”, or “Sports”.
- Cost of Travelling and Living During the Applicant’s Stay Is Covered You can check one or more boxes as appropriate.
- Personal Data of the Family Member who is an EU, EEA, or CH Citizen Provide the details, if applicable. Otherwise, write “N/A”.
- Family Relationship with an EU, EEA, or CH Citizen Provide the details, if applicable. Otherwise, write “N/A”.
- Place and Date Please write the name of the location where you are while completing this form. That can be different than the location of the Schengen embassy/consulate.
- Signature (For Minors, Signature of Parental Authority/Legal Guardian) Every applicant must sign.
Do not add any unnecessary extra notes here.
That would normally be the case for married women who changed their last name after marriage.
Do not add any unnecessary extra notes here.
If you have a middle name or multiple names, write all of them there.
Do not add any notes or explanations here.
If your place of birth also has a state mentioned, please mention it here.
E.g., Reston, VA
If the name of the country where you were born has changed, please write the name of country as it is currently known.
E.g., if you were born in USSR, and that place is now in Ukraine, please write Ukraine.
Write the country name of your current citizenship if it is different than the country in which you were born.
E.g., if you were born in India, but you are now citizen of Thailand, please write Thailand here.
If they have any other type of passport, they would know that and check accordingly.
E.g., Government of India, U.S. Department of State, etc.
E.g., work visa (H, L) holders in the U.S., green card holders in the U.S.
For H, L, and other resident visa holders: Provide Form I-94 number and its expiration date.
For green card holders: Provide the green card number (which is USCIS # or A Number), and write “N/A” in Valid Until.
If your passport mentions your occupation, write exactly that.
Otherwise, write whatever your current occupation is:
e.g., “Software engineer”, “Student”, “Retired”, “Home maker”, “Real estate broker”, etc.
If you are retired or a home maker, write “N/A”.
If you need to check “Other”, please be very careful, as it most likely may not fall under the eligibility of Schengen visa.
Refer to where to submit Schengen visa application for further details.
This would depend upon your itinerary and the purpose of your trip.
Indicate number of days
If you are applying for the first time, you would choose “No”.
If you checked another purpose, such as “Tourism”, names of the hotel(s) or temporary accommodation(s).
In either case, you need to provide the address, email-address, phone number, and fax number (if available).
Write today’s date when completing the form.
If the person is unable to sign because he/she is illiterate, a thumb print should be used.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?