Proof of Legal Status in USA

Proof of US citizenship
  1. If you were born in the United States, a copy of your birth certificate, issued by the civil registrar, vital statistics office, or other civil authority.

  2. If you were naturalized, a copy of your naturalization certificate issued by USCIS or former INS.

  3. If you are were born outside the U.S. and you are a U.S. citizen through your parents, provide:
    1. Your original Certificate of Citizenship, or

    2. Your Form FS-240 (Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen), issued by the U.S. embassy or consulate.

  4. A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport; ALL pages or

  5. An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying that you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport.

A petitioner who is unable to obtain primary evidence of citizenship may submit other forms of evidence; however, such a petition should be regarded as "not clearly approvable" and forwarded to the USCIS office with jurisdiction. If you do not have any of the above documents, look at unavailability of documents.

Proof of Permanent Resident (Green Card)

A copy of the front and back of your permanent resident card. If you have not yet received your card, submit copies of your passport biographic page and the page showing admission as a permanent resident, or other evidence of permanent resident status issued by USCIS or the former INS.