Professors, research scholars, or persons with similar education or accomplishments travel to the U.S. on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar type of institutions.
- The maximum duration of participation in this category is six months.
- No program extensions are permitted.
- No change category will be considered.
- The minimum program duration of 3 weeks for any exchange visitor program category is waived for participants in this category.
- Exchange visitors who have recently participated in an exchange program as a professor or research scholar in the U.S. are not expected to attempt to reenter the U.S. as a short-term scholar to rejoin the original sponsor, as this would be considered a continuation of their original program objective.
- This category is often used for lectures, observations, consultations, conferences, professional meetings, participation in seminars and workshops, etc.
- This category is primary for academics who reside outside the U.S. and are invited to the U.S. occasionally for short visits.
- Participants may return to the U.S. again for a new Short-Term Scholar stay, provided there is a substantial break between the visits, and each visit is for a new objective.
- Participants may return to the U.S. for a longer term stay using the J-1 Research Scholar & Professor category without being subject to the 12 and 24 month bars.
J1 Visa InsuranceGet Quotes
For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.Visit insubuy.com or call 1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400
J1 Visa Compliance FormRead Article
Sponsors are required to:
- Screen and select qualified foreign nationals to carry out exchange initiatives
- Monitor the visitor’s stay while in the U.S. and assist with any issues that may occur
- Ensure that the foreign national is successfully carrying out the responsibilities for which entry to the U.S. was granted
- Ensure that exchange visitors are involved in cross-cultural programs where they can learn about the U.S. and its people
- Maintain SEVIS records
- Ensure that the exchange participants and their dependents, if any, are covered by health insurance
- Ensure that exchange visitors have sufficient finances to participate in the program and to support their spouse and dependents, if any