J1 Visa Programs

There are many different types of J1 visa programs for a wide variety of activities to study, research, visit, teach, demonstrate special skills, training or internship etc.

ProgramMaximum Duration
Au Pair Program12 months. Extension of 6, 9, or 12 months possible.
Camp Counselors4 months. No extensions.
College and University Student ProgramBachelor/Master degree: 18 months
Post Doctoral: 36 months

Non-degree: 24 months
Government Visitor Program18 months
Intern Program12 months
International Visitor Program12 months
Physician ProgramDuration of residency program. Maximum 7 years.
Professor and Research Scholar ProgramMaximum – 5 years, Minimum – 3 weeks
Secondary School Student Program12 months
Short Term Scholar Program6 months
Specialist Program12 months
Summer Work Travel Program4 months
Teacher Program3 years
Trainee ProgramAgriculture, Hospitality: 12 months
Others: 18 months

J1 Visa Insurance

Get Quotes

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call 1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400

J1 Visa Compliance Form

Read Article

As you can see from the above table, the maximum duration of any J-1 program is 7 years. 

You should carefully choose the right category. Choosing the wrong J-1 category may create problems and may prevent you from being able to change plans to remain at the particular organization or transfer to another organization, or even affect your ability to return to the U.S. again on the J-1 visa.

Pilot Programs

There are several pilot programs specifically for the citizens of specific countries:

Summer Work/Travel: Australians, New Zealanders
Intern Work/Travel: Irish
Work/English Study/Travel: South Koreans
2011 Pilot Summer Work Travel Program for Belarus, Bulgaria, Moldova, Romania, Russia and Ukraine

For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400