Spouses and/or children may accompany an exchange visitor and qualify for J-2 visas if dependents are included on the DS-2019. Please check the upper right hand corner of your DS-2019 to be sure your family members are included.
You will need the following documents for getting J-2 visa:
- Current passport as well as old passports
- One photograph (Only for dropbox appointment)
- Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC bar code.
- Visa fees
Citizens of some countries must additionally pay the additional visa issuance fee if the visa is issued.
Issuance fee schedule in Visa Reciprocity Tables
- Original interview appointment letter and one copy.
- All pages of original SEVIS generated Form DS-2019 in original, approved, and signed by the primary applicant’s sponsor organization in the U.S.
- Original proof of payment of SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt and one copy, if applicable.
- Copy of Form DS-7002, if applicable.
All exchange visitor (J visa) trainee or intern visa applicants (based on Box 7 on form) must also present Training/Internship Placement Plan, Form DS-7002.
- Photocopies of the first page, address page, and last page of your current passport.
- A copy of the Form DS-2019 of the Principal Applicant.
- Photocopy of the principal applicant’s valid visa, if applying separately.
- Original marriage certificate for spouse along with entire wedding photo album.
Additionally, it would be helpful to provide genuine marriage proof.
- Wedding invitation card.
- Original birth certificate for each child.
- Additional financial resources to support the dependents. If funding is via a scholarship, graduate assistantship, or the like, please supply details, including documentation from the source of funding. If self-funded or funded by anyone else, original bank passbooks are the clearest evidence of what funds are available.
- If applying separately, a good quality photocopy or the original of the primary applicant’s passport – all pages. The copy should be of GOOD quality and the photo must be clearly identifiable.
- The consulate may request additional documents if the principal has been in the U.S. for some time, including transcripts showing that they have maintained full-time student status as an F-1 or information showing that the principal is still engaged in his/her J-1 research.
It is always easiest if dependents apply at the same time as the principal applicant; for example, the J-1 researcher applies for her own J-1 visa and J-2 visas for her spouse and children at the same time. However, it is not mandatory to do so.
India Specific Information
- Visa fees
Fees to be paid in advance before taking an appointment.
- Sample appointment letter for interview.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?