H1 Visa Bond, Contract, Bench Pay, and Employment Dispute FAQ

All H-1B FAQs

Q: My employer applied for my H1b and is not providing any details. Is there any way I can find out more information?
No. The H1b petition is your employer’s petition, and USCIS will not release any information to the beneficiary of the petition. Only the employer or the attorney can contact USCIS regarding the petition. Good employers generally give you the receipt number to check the status online.

Q: I don’t really like the way my H1 employer treats me and gives me a hard time about my pay, green card process, etc. Can I just start my own company, file my own H1, work as independent consultant, and file my own green card through my own company?

You can start your own company, but you can’t “work” for it. You can be a director, officer or shareholder in the company. You can hire U.S. workers, and they can do all the work in your company. Whatever profit is generated, you can keep them as “passive” income just like you would get interest in certificates of deposit or have profit/income by investing in the stock market or real estate.

Q: Is my employer required by law to pay all my H1 paper expenses? Can I make them pay all the expenses?
No. Who pays the expenses for H1 papers is between you and your employer. However, certain fees must be paid by the employer.

Q: Can an employer who filed the H1 visa deduct H1 expenses from employee’s earnings?
 Yes, certain expenses.

Q: My petitioning employer is asking me for H1b fees and deposit. Is that legal?
 As per the law, most of the H1b fees have to be paid by the petitioning employer.

Q: I have gotten a job offer in the U.S. on an H1B visa, and my H1B petition has been approved. I don’t have the resignation or relieving letter from my current employer in India. Will that be a problem in getting H1B visa?
 No, that should not be a problem as long as you otherwise qualify for an H1B visa.

Q: My petitioner employer took a security deposit for my H-1B. Do I get it back if my H-1B gets denied?
Good employers do not take money from the beneficiaries. It is illegal for the employee to pay most of the H-1B application fees. USCIS collects H-1B processing fees and not approval fees. Meaning, once the application is in their system, no fee refunds are possible from USCIS.

Q: My employer is refusing to give me any details of my H1b; what can I do? Are there any legal remedies?
There’s nothing. You have to pick the right sponsor before filing.

Q: My employer collected $X for my H1b in the form of a check. My H1b did not get picked in the lottery. Can I complain to USCIS?
 It is illegal to pay the petitioner to file the H1b petition for you. You still paid the money to the petitioner. Now that your petition didn’t get picked, you can’t really complain to the USCIS.

Q: My employer collected H1b fees. Can I do something about it as I did not know it was illegal to pay them for the H1b?
 H1b law violations regarding fees are handled by the Department of Labor (DOL). 

Complete information

Q: My employer will not be paying me on the bench. We agreed upon the terms of our contract. Is that okay?
 H1b law requires employers to pay the full salary while you are on bench. You are risking the loss of your status and future immigration benefits.

Q: I do not have a project. My employer is not paying me; what should I do?
You are an employee of your employer and on H1b, you always have a job with your employer. Whether you are on a project or not, whether you are billable or not, it doesn’t matter. You need to be paid your full salary all the time on H1b to maintain your status. You can complain to the Department of Labor (DOL) on WH4 Form, and they will make the employer pay.

Q: My employer says it is okay to not get paid as I do not have a SSN, and they cannot market my resume. Clients need a SSN for a background check.
 You are an employee of your employer, not the client. The employer has to pay you full salary all the time. I-9 requirements for document verification does not require a SSN to hire someone.

Q: I am on an H1b, and my employer has placed me at the client side. The client is delaying the payment for my work. My employer is not paying me. What can I do?
 You are an employee of your employer, not the client. The employer has to pay your full salary all the time as per H1b law. You can complain to your state labor department.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400