What Visas Allow You to Work in the USA?

If you’ve been dreaming of working in the United States, there are a number of different paths you can take depending upon your qualifications and your background. The following is a list and brief description of some of the various nonimmigrant visas that can allow foreign workers to seek employment in the USA.

Nonimmigrant USA Work Visas

B-1 Temporary Business VisitorAllows foreign visitors to participate in limited business activities of a commercial/professional nature in the US.
CW-1 Transitional WorkerAllows employers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands to seek permission to employ aliens who are not otherwise eligible under other categories.
E-1 Treaty TraderAllows nationals of countries the US shares treaty agreements with to be admitted to the US to engage in international trade.
E-2 Treaty InvestorAllows nationals of countries the US shares treaty agreements with to be admitted to the US when investing substantial capital in a US business.
E-3 Specialty Worker from AustraliaAllows nationals from Australia to be admitted to the US for highly specialized occupations.
F-1 OPT ParticipantAllows F-1 visa holders to participate in Optional Practical Training for up to 12 to 36 months.
H-1B Specialty Occupation WorkerAllows nationals to be admitted to the US to work in specialty occupations.
H-2A Agricultural WorkerAllows certain employers to bring foreign workers into the US temporarily for agricultural positions.
H-2B Non-Agricultural WorkerAllows certain employers to bring foreign workers into the US temporarily for for non-agricultural positions.
H-3A Nonimmigrant Trainee or Exchange VisitorAllows noncitizens to be temporarily admitted to the US for specialized training not available in their country.
I Representative of Foreign MediaAllows certain representatives of foreign media outlets to enter the US for professional work.
J-1 Exchange VisitorAllows nonimmigrants to participate in work or study-based exchange visitor programs.
L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive/ManagerAllows US employers to transfer executives/managers from affiliated foreign offices to US offices.
L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized KnowledgeAllows US employers to transfer employees with specialized knowledge from affiliated foreign offices to US offices.
O-1 Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or AchievementFor foreign nationals with demonstrated extraordinary ability in arts, science, athletics, or education.
P-1A AthleteAllows athletes to enter the US specifically to perform in an athletic competition.
P-1B Member of Internationally Recognized Entertainment GroupFor members of internationally recognized entertainment groups performing in the US.
P-2 Performer or Group Under Reciprocal Exchange ProgramFor artists entering the US through a government-recognized reciprocal exchange program.
P-3 Artist or Entertainer as Part of a Culturally Unique ProgramFor temporary performance, teaching, or coaching under a program that is culturally unique.
Q-1 Cultural Exchange ParticipantFor participants in international cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of Homeland Security.
R-1 Nonimmigrant Religious WorkerAllows those in religious vocations to enter the US temporarily for religious work.
TN NAFTA ProfessionalsAllows qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary admittance to the US for business activities.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit insubuy.com or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400